Home >> Institutions

Browse by Institution

  • Allen University has a rich and distinguished history. Founded in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the institution represents the dream of Daniel Alexander Payne (1811-1883), an apostle of black education in the United States, who saw the need for such a school among African Americans. Payne’s dream was fulfilled by Richard Allen, AME church clergy and laymen. The Allen University story begins seven years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation and five years after the end of the American Civil War. The end of that conflict saw significant expansion of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the former Confederate States. Allen University grew out of the church’s desire to educate newly freed slaves and to ensure a well-trained clergy for the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The dreams of our forefathers lead Allen University to become the “FIRST INSTITUTION OF LEARNING CONSECRATED TO NEGRO SELF ACTIVITY AND NEGRO MANHOOD,” in the state of South Carolina. Continuing its legacy, in 2014, Allen University is proud to become one of the first Historically Black College and University (HBCU) institutions to join the South Carolina Digital Library (SCDL). Embracing our vision for the future, the Joseph Simeon Flipper Library at Allen University invites you to become a “Friend of the Library.” On behalf of Allen University and the Joseph Simeon Flipper Library staff, we offer a special thank you to Ms. Wilhelmenia Broughton, the first campus archivist, who accumulated the materials included in this collection.
  • Andrews, SC began life as a railroad hub for the blossoming early 1900 lumber industry and served as the rail hub connecting the seaport of Georgetown, SC with the eastern railroad branches. The Andrews Old Town Hall Museum is housed in the original Town Hall building and reflects a Victorian-era Andrews home, everything in the museum is circa 1909, the year that Andrews, SC was formed from the merging of the towns of Harpers & Rosemary.
  • Beaufort County Library, the public library system of Beaufort County, provides informational, educational and recreational resources to the community to help individuals adapt to a rapidly changing world while protecting the past by preserving our area's rich heritage. Home of the Beaufort District Collection, we interact with researchers from all over the world. After all, as author Larry Rowland, Ph.D. has written, "All American history begins in Beaufort."
  • The Belle W. Baruch Foundation is a non-profit organization and owner of the 17,500-acre wildlife refuge, Hobcaw Barony. Made as a royal land grant in 1718, it was eventually subdivided into 14 individual plantations. It became the winter residence of Wall Street millionaire and presidential adviser Bernard Baruch. Mr. Baruch's daughter, Belle, purchased all of the barony over a period of several years and at her death a foundation was created to use the land for the "purposes of teaching and/or research in forestry, marine biology, and the care and propagation of wildlife, flora and fauna in connection with colleges and/or universities in the state of South Carolina."
  • The Berkeley County Library System, a public library system, consists of a main location in Moncks Corner, SC, and five other locations in the county. Two new branch facilities are under construction to replace current buildings that no longer adequately serve our needs. Our new state-of-the-art bookmobile is receiving the last of its upgrades before providing service to outlying communities. The library's digital collection of photographs and documents are digital only. The original photos and documents are returned to the owner's custody after scanning. This project is made possible through a Library Technology Service Act (LSTA) grant for equipment, South Carolina State Library, Berkeley County Government, the Friends of the Berkeley County Library, University of South Carolina Digital Activities Center and citizens of Berkeley County willing to share their history.
  • The Brookgreen Gardens Collection includes photographs from the archives of Archer and Anna Huntington who established Brookgreen Gardens in 1931. The couple designed the gardens to preserve the native flora and fauna as well as display sculptures by Anna and other artists in a natural setting. Many of the photographs include features of the garden, Murrells Inlet residents and photographs taken by North Carolina photographer, Bayard Wooten. For more information on Brookgreen Gardens visit http://www.brookgreen.org/.
  • The Cayce Historical Museum chronicles the history of the first European settlement in South Carolina's Midlands (then known as "the back country") in the early 1700s. The museum interprets the agricultural, social, and cultural heritage of the Cayce, Old Saxe Gotha, Granby, and West Columbia areas. Exhibits emphasize periods of colonial trade, agricultural development, and transportation from the 18th century through the present time. The museum also features Native American artifacts from the area dating back thousands of years. The main building in the Cayce Historical Museum complex is a replica of a trading post, which was built in the Cayce area in 1765. That trading post was seized by the British during the American Revolution and used as a fort. In 1817, the building was purchased by the Cayce family who used it as a private residence for nearly 100 years. "Uncle Billy" Cayce, as he was affectionately known, ran a general store near the railroad tracks in an area then known as Cayce Crossing. When citizens decided to incorporate a town in 1914, it was named for the Cayce family.
  • Located in Chester, SC, the Chester County Historical Society was formed in the 1960s to preserve the significant historical artifacts of Chester County. The Historical Society’s museum includes collections such as Chester County genealogical materials, agriculture machinery from the 1800s, and extensive photos from Chester resident, Henry O. Nichols. The museum was formerly housed in a basement room of the courthouse until 1981 when it was moved to the permanent location in the county’s old jail house. The museum is a volunteer, non-profit organization. Find more at chesterscmuseum.org.
  • Columbia is the capital of South Carolina and its largest city. Columbia’s central location has allowed the city to provide a pivotal role in government, commerce, and education for the people of South Carolina. In 1786, Columbia was chosen as the site of the new state capital by the General Assembly and the State General Assembly first met here in 1790. After remaining under the direct government of the legislature for the first two decades of its existence, Columbia was incorporated as a village in 1805 and then as a city in 1854. Today it is the seat of Richland County. The following digital collections represent a broad picture of the history of Columbia, South Carolina, from the 1800s to the end of the twentieth century. A special thanks to the City of Columbia, Richland Library, USC Libraries, South Carolina State Museum, South Carolina State Library, and the South Carolina Department of Archives and History for making these collections available online.
  • Clemson University is South Carolina’s premiere land grant institution and one of the nation’s top public universities. The digital collections created by the Clemson Libraries to be made available through this portal include significant political, agricultural, and local and regional history holdings.
  • The College of Charleston, the center of a booming downtown Charleston, offers many digital collections that document the holdings in Addlestone Library's Special Collections. Topics covered in these collections include slavery, local history and organizations, art, photography, and literature.
  • The Diocese of Charleston Archives’ prime objectives are to serve the administrative needs of the diocese and to promote a wider understanding of the Roman Catholic Church by making some of the Archives holdings visible and accessible to the general public. Professional archivists and trained staff collect, preserve, and make available non-current diocesan records of permanent administrative, legal, fiscal, canonical, and historic value as well as records of other institutions, personal papers, and publications documenting the history of the Roman Catholic Church within diocesan boundaries.
  • Erskine is a private liberal arts institution located in Due West. The school is affiliated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church and includes an undergraduate College (founded in 1829) and Theological Seminary (founded in 1827). These digital collections document original materials housed in the McCain Library Department of Archives and Special Collections on the Erskine campus. The Erskine Archives preserves and provides access to unique materials focusing on the history of Erskine, the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, Abbeville County, S.C., and the surrounding area.
  • The mission of the museum is not only to serve as a repository of the county's rich heritage, but also as an active resource for the education and cultural enrichment of our county's citizens, both young and old, representing our diverse cultural backgrounds.
  • Library services in Florence date back to the early 1870s. With its headquarters in the City of Florence, five branch libraries in the county, and a bookmobile, the Florence County Library System continues to offer exceptional services into the 21st century. The E. N. Zeigler South Carolina Room houses the digital collection as well as books and other materials dating back to the 1700s.
  • The digital collection of Florence-Darlington Technical College chronicles the college's history. The Florence-Darlington Technical College, Wellman, Inc. Library digital collections include digitized yearbooks and other items related to the history of the college. This collection features college publications which record events and people from the 1960’s through the 1990’s.
  • Francis Marion University is a four-year liberal arts university in Florence, SC. The institution began as a University of South Carolina regional campus and became a state-supported college in 1970. Named Francis Marion College for General Francis Marion who served in the American Revolutionary War, it became a university in 1992. The university archives are housed in the James A. Rogers Library. These digital collections begin with the college yearbooks.
  • Furman is a private liberal arts university founded in 1826 and located in Greenville. It has 2600 undergraduate students and is nationally acclaimed for its academic excellence and Engaged Learning program. The Digicenter creates and enriches digital collections to be used for instruction and adds value to these collections by linking digital objects with related data, such as maps, timelines, and related information. To assist the faculty, the Digicenter will create collections by converting analog materials, including slides, print photographs, audio, an text - provided the materials do not infringe copyright provisions - and will customize the material to fit the instructor's teaching needs.
  • Founded in the late Eighteenth Century, the Georgetown County Library has seen over two hundred years of service to its community. Started by local rice planters and merchants, the library has moved into the Twenty-first Century by offering services to all of its residents, with four branches county-wide. In 2007, the library was awarded the National Medal for Museum and Library Services; one of only ten awarded in the country and the only library in South Carolina to receive the award.
  • Muskets, marshland, and muslin, rice, rivers, and revolution. What do these seemingly unrelated subjects have in common? The Georgetown County Museum offers fascinating connections that intertwine these and many other facets of life that span almost 300 years of American history lived out in the daily lives of the citizens of Georgetown, South Carolina. This colonial town has seen it all and we keep the spirit of each era in our heritage alive with the many displays and exhibits found here in the Museum.
  • The mission of the Carolina Art Association (the Gibbes Museum of Art) is to offer through collection, exhibition and interpretation a thorough knowledge of the visual culture of Charleston, the Lowcountry and the American South from the colonial era through today.
  • Founded in 1921, the Greenville County Library System operates eleven facilities, a bookmobile and a website that provide information, materials, and engaging programs delivered with world-class technology and a customer-centric approach. The Library System offers free access to resources and experiences and continually strives to be the community’s destination of choice for exploring the world. The library’s collection of digitized materials is located in the Carolina First South Carolina Room of the Hughes Main Library. For more information, visit the Library’s website at www.greenvillelibrary.org.
  • One of the many ways Historic Charleston Foundation seeks to protect Charleston's architectural, historical and cultural integrity is through scholarly research and documentation. Not only does HCF maintain its own records in the Margaretta Childs Archive, staff members also can offer advice to those researching Charleston's architecture and history.
  • This intimate and elegant house museum is one of the quiet gems of the Historic District of Georgetown. It has an unparalleled and well-documented history, matched only by the impressive collection of 18th and 19th century American and European furnishings within its rooms.
  • Lander University has been providing educational and cultural opportunities since its founding in 1872 as Williamston Female College in Williamston, S.C. The college moved to Greenwood, S.C., in 1904 and was renamed Lander in honor of its founder, Samuel Lander. It became part of the state system of higher education in 1973. Lander is now a coeducational, state-assisted, comprehensive, regional, four-year university with traditional liberal arts and science programs, and professional programs in business, education and nursing.
  • McKissick Museum is located at the heart of the historic Horseshoe on the Columbia campus of the University of South Carolina. It was established in 1976 by the University Board of Trustees to bring together under one roof the many object collections housed in various departments and colleges across campus. These collections date to 1801 and provide insight into the long and illustrious history of the University.
  • The Waring Historical Library is the special collections and rare book library for the Medical University of South Carolina. Named for Joseph I. Waring, Jr., the first director of the Historical Library, the library houses books, journals, manuscript items and museum artifacts dealing with the history of the health sciences.
  • The Archives of the Morris College Richardson-Johnson Learning Resources Center chronicle over one hundred years of the college's history through documents, convention publications, photographs, catalogs, alumni materials, videos and publications. The Morris College Digital Collections presented here include yearbooks and other college publications documenting the history of the institution. In the collection is the pictorial book, Morris College: A Noble Journey, chronicling the history, heritage, the culture and legacy of the college. This beautiful volume presents an account of the people who sacrificed to make their dreams become realities so that their children and future generations of African American youth would have opportunities afforded to them by a college education..
  • The mission of Murrells Inlet 2020 is to promote and advance infrastructure improvements including beautification of the core commercial districts, to enhance environmental education, to initiate a redevelopment of the core commercial district which will reduce blight, and to utilize conservation and preservation methods to secure quality wetlands for future generations of residents and visitors to appreciate.
  • Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum, located in Mt. Pleasant, S.C. on Charleston Harbor, is home to the U.S.S. Yorktown, an aircraft carrier used in World War II. The museum also features several other warships and numerous combat airplanes used in conflicts from World War II through Desert Storm.
  • The Pawleys Island Civic Association Collection features many of the historic photographs from Pawleys Island: A Century of History and Photographs. First settled by rice planters who looked for an escape from the deadly malaria that plagued the inland areas, the island continues to bring in both returning vacationers as well as first-timers who long to enjoy the peace and quiet of this coastal community. The Pawleys Island Civic Association was created to help preserve, foster and promote this small island. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.
  • The Pendleton District Historical, Recreational and Tourism Commission was created by the South Carolina legislature in 1966 to preserve and promote history and tourism in Anderson, Oconee and Pickens counties. The Pendleton District Commission Research Room and Special Collections contains both primary and secondary sources relating to the history of the tri-county area, historically known as the Pendleton District. The Pendleton District Commission also operates the Pendleton District Agricultural Museum and coordinates the South Carolina Century Farm Program.
  • Presbyterian College is a national liberal arts institution in Clinton, SC that offers a whole-person education to inquisitive students interested in lives that balance challenging academics, social involvement, and service. Small class sizes allow students to develop closer relationships with faculty and peers. Honor and ethics are a part of the PC culture, guiding students to become values-based leaders in their lives and careers.
  • The Richland Library, with 11 locations throughout Richland County, offers numerous resources in a variety of formats to meet citizens' needs for reading, learning and information. Richland Library's Walker Local and Family History Center, located in the Main Library in Downtown Columbia, has historical and some current material focusing on Columbia, Richland County and the surrounding counties of the Midlands.
  • The South Carolina Department of Archives and History is an independent state agency whose mission is to preserve and promote the documentary and cultural heritage of the Palmetto State. The Department is the caretaker of the South Carolina Archives, a collection of more than 325 years of historical documents recording the rich and diverse history of the people and government of South Carolina. The agency’s mission extends to encompass historic preservation, history education, records management and records conservation.
  • In 1855 a group of South Carolina's most distinguished citizens came together to found the South Carolina Historical Society, to preserve South Carolina's rich historical legacy for future generations. Today the SCHS is the state's oldest and largest private repository of books, letters, journals, maps, drawings, and photographs about South Carolina history. Our mission is "to expand, preserve, and make accessible our invaluable collection, and to encourage interest and pride in the rich history of our state."
  • Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., the South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state’s libraries. The Library is a national model for innovation, collaboration, leadership and effectiveness. The Library’s mission is to optimize South Carolina’s investment in library and information services. In 1969, the State Library Board was redesignated as the South Carolina State Library and assumed responsibility for public library development, library service for state institutions, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies.
  • The South Carolina State Museum opened to the public in 1988 with the purpose of collecting, studying, and creating exhibitions focused on the state’s history, natural history, science and technology and art. The museum collection is estimated to have at least 175,000 objects of all types and it continues to grow. For more information and contacts check the web site: www.southcarolinastatemuseum.org.
  • Spartanburg County’s first Library opened in 1885 on Morgan Square in downtown Spartanburg. The Library was a gift of Mrs. Helen Fayssoux Stevens Kennedy as a remembrance of her husband, Dr. Lionel Chalmers Kennedy, a respected and loved physician. Today, the Spartanburg County Public Libraries includes a Headquarters and nine branch libraries as well as the Bookmobile, Home Delivery, and the Libraries’ online digital library. Simply put, the Libraries’ mission is Create – Connect – Change. The Spartanburg County Public Libraries is creating a culture of lifelong learning by connecting people ideas and information resulting in a community pursuing positive change.
  • The Charleston Archive, located on the second floor of the Main Library, is an archive of historic manuscripts, books and visual materials representing Charleston and the surrounding Lowcountry. Much of the unique manuscript material housed in The Charleston Archive contains valuable genealogical information and is available on microfilm or photocopies in the South Carolina Room. Access to the original materials is by appointment only. For more information, call 843-805-6968, or visit the Charleston Archive blog site.
  • America's first museum, founded in 1773. Its mission is to preserve and interpret the cultural and natural history of Charleston and the Lowcountry. The varied items of the Archives certainly reflect the museum's long history of collecting and include books, photographs, maps, manuscripts, postcards, journals and newspapers. While there are some materials from the 17th, 18th and 20th centuries, the bulk of the collections are from the 19th century. Access to the original materials is by appointment only.
  • There are over three hundred collections in the Citadel's Archives which pertain to the history of the Military College of South Carolina or have military significance. The time span of the collections is from 1842 to the present. Holdings include personal papers, letters, diaries, reports, minutes, speeches, Citadel publications. Visual images include photographs, postcards, engravings, films and videotapes.
  • The University of South Carolina Aiken is a satellite campus of the University of South Carolina system, founded in 1961. These collections are found at the Gregg-Graniteville Library.
  • The University of South Carolina Beaufort (USCB) is a senior institution of the University of South Carolina system serving the southeast coast of South Carolina and Georgia. The university’s two campuses are located on the waterfront in historic Beaufort, S.C. and at the gateway to Hilton Head Island in Bluffton, S.C. The digital collections document original materials housed in the Hilton Head Gateway campus library.
  • The University of South Carolina Lancaster, founded in 1959, is a regional campus of the University of South Carolina. The institution is currently in the process of developing a Native American Studies Program with both public and curricular components. The Catawba Indian collection was created using slides and photographs from the Native American Studies Archive.
  • The University of South Carolina School of Medicine Library serves as the School of Medicine's information gateway to biomedical electronic journals, electronic textbooks, and databases. The digital collection includes selected titles from the rare medical books collection housed in the Charles S. Bryan History of Medicine Room.
  • The University of South Carolina has participated in the Federal Depository Library Program since 1884. In 2009 the library celebrated its 125 year commitment to providing the students, faculty, staff, and citizens of South Carolina access to federal government information.
  • The Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections preserves and makes accessible rare materials and special research collections supporting teaching and research across a wide range of disciplines. Holdings now total over 150,000 rare and special collections volumes and over 50 archival collections. The books of the South Carolina College are the foundation of the collection, augmented by gifts and purchases from endowed funds over the past 30 years. Major collecting areas include philosophy, natural history and science, history, and literature, with particular strength in Scottish Literature, Robert Burns in particular; John Milton; nineteenth century American Literature; F. Scott Fitzgerald; Ernest Hemingway; Joseph Heller; the history of the Civil War and the Great War; Giuseppe Garibaldi; Charles Darwin; and Historical Astronomy.
  • The core of the Map Library collection consists of approximately 250,000 maps, 130,000 aerial photographs and 4,000 atlases and books. The Library provides a wealth of geographic reference and primary source material.
  • MIRC began in 1980 with the gift of the Fox Movietone News Collection. Since then, archival holdings have increased to an estimated 6000 hours of material, including local television news and commercials, home movies, micro-cinematographic nature films, and fiction and documentary films from the People's Republic of China.
  • Located within the USC Music Library, the special collections include rare books and music scores, archival collections, art, musical instruments, and audiovisual materials dating from the early 19th Century to the present. The Music Library serves as the repository for the departmental records of the School of Music's Bands Department and for the papers of several former professors. Other highlights include autographed first editions of Massenet operas, archival material of composers Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Henry Cowell, and extensive collections of 19th and 20th Century sheet music.
  • Our collections include records of South Carolina’s leaders in Congress and the General Assembly, the state’s political parties, and other individuals and organizations playing substantive roles in politics and government.
  • Published Materials (formerly Books Division) collects and preserves publications written by or about the people, places, and culture of the Palmetto State. Holdings include books, maps, pamphlets, S.C. newspapers, sheet music, USC dissertations and theses, journals, magazines and other periodicals, and vertical files of newspaper clippings and other ephemera.
  • The USC’s South Caroliniana Library’s Visual Materials Division documents the people, places, and culture of South Carolina through a collection of 19th- and 20th-century photographs, postcards, illustrated newspapers, engravings, and lithographs. Other holdings include original artwork, sculpture, posters, blueprints, and architectural drawings.
  • Holdings of The Manuscripts Division include letters, diaries, and other unpublished papers of families and individuals; genealogical collections; broadsides; plantation account books; non-USC dissertations dealing with S.C. history; and information collected by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), regarding folklore, local history, etc. The Manuscripts Division also holds records of churches, clubs, and other organizations, as well as business records of country stores, textile mills, and other concerns.
  • The University Archives acquires, preserves, and makes accessible those University records that have permanent historical value. These include the records of major administrative offices, such as the Board of Trustees, the President and the Provost. Other collections held by USC Archives include nineteenth century student records and various University publications, such as commencement programs, annual reports, academic bulletins, the Garnet and Black yearbooks and The Gamecock newspaper. The Archives also collects photographs relating to all aspects of life at USC, as well as architectural plans, drawings and maps of campus buildings and grounds. The bulk of the material is from the 20th century. Archives materials cannot be checked out, but most items can be reproduced.