The New South Newspaper, 1862-1866
Union postmaster Joseph H. Sears published the New South newspaper out of the post office building on Union Square in Port Royal, S.C., on a weekly basis beginning in March 1862. The paper was moved to the town of Beaufort sometime in 1865 and remained there until it ceased in 1867. The New South offers a glimpse into an era of unprecedented social upheaval in the South Carolina Low Country. The 64 issues available online are fully searchable and readable with the use of the Adobe Acrobat Reader.