Home >> Media Type >> Postcards

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck.

This collection includes images of the Baruch family, their friends and guest at Hobcaw, as well as their extensive travels around the world. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.

Bettie La Barbe Postcard Collection

Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 - 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly's Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her death in 1955. The collection consists of just over three hundred Victoriana-era postcards collected by Miss La Barbe between the years 1903 - 1935.

The Georgetown County Library Photograph Collection is compiled of photographs of individuals who lived in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th century. Names such as LaBruce, Ehrich, Sampson, Ward, and Gasque make up this unique collection of photographs that have been donated to the Georgetown County Library

The Georgetown County Museum Collection exhibits photographs from families, plantations and other images from Georgetown County locals. The black and white images offer a rare glimpse in the lifestyle of Georgetown County in the first half of the twentieth century. Photos come from the Butler, Brightman and Harriet Morgan families, Caledonia Plantation, Lark Hill Plantation and the 1960s Highway 17 expansion. For more information visit http://www.georgetowncountymuseum.com/

The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.

Student at Greenville Woman's College. 1930

This digital collection contains over 500 documents, postcards, and photographs from the Greenville Woman's College located in Greenville, South Carolina. The college, which was founded in 1854 by the Southern Baptist Convention, merged with Furman University in 1938 and moved to Furman University's new consolidated campus in 1961, closing down its former location in downtown Greenville.

image of soldier dreaming of family back home during war

Postcards were a popular and inexpensive means of keeping in touch during the Great War. In addition, they boosted morale, encouraged patriotism, and served as an important propaganda tool. Designs included national themes, political cartoons, patriotic imagery, and humorous and sentimental messages. Photographic postcards depicted every aspect of the war from soldiers training to battlefield scenes, the machinery of war, and its devastation, and scenes from the home front. Postcards often featured patriotic imagery, humorous themes, and sentimental messages.

The Kaminski House Museum Collection features images taken by Harold and Julia Kaminski of their Georgetown home, travels around the world and their friends and family. Harold Kaminski, the son of Heiman and Rose Kaminski of Georgetown, married Julia Pyatt on December 12, 1925 in the Prince George Episcopal Church Rectory.

 

South Carolina Hospital Postcards

The South Carolina Hospital Postcard collection includes postcards representing hospitals throughout South Carolina. The postcards provide a visual record for hospitals that may no longer exist or have changed location, and reflect the ways that hospital architecture has changed over time.

image: soldier's last goodbye

This collection is a selection of items including photographs, postcards, pamphlets, newspaper articles, and letters that describe experiences of World War I soldiers in the Spartanburg area. Most items are about Camp Wadsworth and included are a map, materials from the Camp library, and images from the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. There is a proclamation from the City of Spartanburg honoring the 369th Regiment, known as the “Harlem Hell Fighters”.

Pages