Home >> Timeline >> Jazz Age (1919 - 1929)
watercolor caricature of military officer

This World War I soldier's sketchbook is the mark of Cpl. Douglas G. Ward, an otherwise unknown British soldier-artist. Douglas G. Ward entered the military and trained at Catterick Camp, the infantry training center and was assigned to the 7th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment which was part of the 33rd Brigade, 11th (Northern) Division, landing at Sulva Bay (Gallipoli) 7th August 1915.

African Americans Seen Through the Eyes of the Newsreel Cameraman

Fox News and Fox Movietone News camera crews covered the people and events of the country and, indeed, the world.  From 1919 to 1963 these journalists aimed their viewfinders at the mundane and the spectacular.

The resulting images—most of which still exist as camera negatives at Moving Image Research Collections—provide an unparalleled opportunity to glimpse the world through their eyes.

Albert Simons Papers, 1908-1977

View the Collection

Sketches of buildings and architectural features in Europe, Maryland, Turkey, Italy, Greece, France, South Carolina, and Spain, by Charleston architect Albert Simons.  Also included are sketches during his military service in Europe during World War I. The images depict buildings of France, and soldiers and civilians of many nationalities.

The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and more were built as the town grew.

The Andrews Museum is located in the Old Town Hall and offers visitors a chance to see life in 1909 Andrews, South Carolina.

One of America’s foremost early twentieth-century African-American magic acts. J. Hartford Armstrong, his wife, Lille Belle Armstrong, and eventually their daughter, Ellen Armstrong, performed feats that included mind reading, slight of hand, and card tricks. This collection of 127 items includes letters, photographs, and newspaper clippings.

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck.

This collection includes images of the Baruch family, their friends and guest at Hobcaw, as well as their extensive travels around the world. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.

Broadsides

Broadsides is a virtual collection of posters from many different collections at the South Caroliniana Library.

The Caines Family Photograph Collection exhibits the history of the family, from their life at Clambank to the more recent duck decoy carvings completed by Jerry and Roy Caines. Residents of Georgetown County since the early eighteenth century, the collection includes photographs of both the Caines Brothers and Caines Boys, both known as decoy carvers, fishermen and experts on local waterways.

 

aerial photo of textile mill

The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, the Clifton Manufacturing collection, the Henry Cater collection and the JP Stevens collection.

Collection of Minerals at the College of South Carolina

Richard T. Brumby began to keep a catalogue of the mineral specimens during the 1840s. He never finished it and between 1856 and 1903, no formal record of new or existing specimens was kept. As a result, the only surviving information on the collection was contained in Brumby’s partial catalogue and the hastily scrawled paper labels that easily became separated from their associated specimens. In 1903, Daniel S. Martin began the work of trying to reconstruct a catalogue of USC’s mineral specimens.

Pages