Home >> Timeline >> Post-War America (1946 - 1954)
image of smokey the bear and children at library checkout

The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Children's Library Services Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-2000s relating to library services for children. 

The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field agents. Portrayed in photographs are youth at public libraries, summer reading programs, other children's programs, and displays.

Allen University Graduating Class of 1896

Allen University has a rich and distinguished history. Founded in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the institution represents the dream of Daniel Alexander Payne (1811-1883), an apostle of black education in the United States, who saw the need for such a school among African Americans.  Payne’s dream was fulfilled by Richard Allen, AME church clergy and laymen.
 

The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and more were built as the town grew.

The Andrews Museum is located in the Old Town Hall and offers visitors a chance to see life in 1909 Andrews, South Carolina.

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck.

This collection includes images of the Baruch family, their friends and guest at Hobcaw, as well as their extensive travels around the world. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.

Beulah Glover Photographs

In about 1937 Miss Beulah Glover (17 Aug. 1887 – 4 Jan. 1991) opened a photography studio in Walterboro, S.C. Being also an historian, Miss Glover shot many historical scenes in the Lowcountry. She converted some of these images to postcards and sold them in her studio, Foto-Nook. She also used images to illustrate her many articles and books on the history of Colleton County. Miss Glover worked also as photo-journalist, selling her images to the Walterboro newspaper. This small sampling of images by Miss Glover includes prints and negatives and covers the years 1941 to 1952.

Broadsides

Broadsides is a virtual collection of posters from many different collections at the South Caroliniana Library.

statue of man on horse called "Riders of the Dawn"

The Brookgreen Gardens Collection includes photographs from the archives of Archer and Anna Huntington who established Brookgreen Gardens in 1931. The couple designed the gardens to preserve the native flora and fauna as well as display sculptures by Anna and other artists in a natural setting. Many of the photographs include features of the garden, Murrells Inlet residents and photographs taken by North Carolina photographer, Bayard Wooten. For more information on Brookgreen Gardens visit their website: brookgreen.org.

The Caines Family Photograph Collection exhibits the history of the family, from their life at Clambank to the more recent duck decoy carvings completed by Jerry and Roy Caines. Residents of Georgetown County since the early eighteenth century, the collection includes photographs of both the Caines Brothers and Caines Boys, both known as decoy carvers, fishermen and experts on local waterways.

 

Charleston Museum Illustrated Newspapers Collection

These images are from the collection of illustrated newspapers, primarily Harper's Weekly and Frank Leslie's, housed in the archives at the Charleston Museum.

Civic Services Committee Papers

The Civic Services Committee (CSC) (1942-1946) was the predecessor body to Historic Charleston Foundation. It was formed by the Carolina Art Association to address the need for architectural preservation and to implement city planning in response to growth.

Pages