Membership applications of the Benjamin Brockman and Hampton Lee chapters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy ranging from 1913-1929. Members lived in the greater Greer area. Applications contain genealogy details of date of birth and family relationships.
Henry Singleton Stokes moved from Pleasant Hill to Greer in 1908 to open Stokes Grocery at the corner of N. Main Street and E. Poinsett Street. This handwritten ledger details items purchased from his store from 1908-1909. Common items sold include food, clothing, and tobacco.
In 1932, the WPA built “So Big” on a vacant lot on Augusta Road. After the diminutive building, the bookmobile served the area until 1975 when the library rented a storefront next to Pickwick Pharmacy. In 2004 the Ramsey Family Branch Library replaced the rented space.
In 1961, citizens persuaded the Library to stock books in two unused rooms of Mauldin town hall. A visit to this little collection from Arthur Magill resulted in the gift of a building, which opened in 1962. The branch moved to the new W. Jack Greer Library in August 29, 1999.
Greenville’s library opened in 1921 under the leadership of Thomas F. Parker in a storage room on E. Coffee St. Over the years the Main library has been housed in the Jervey Jordan building, old Park School building, College Street building, and, in 2002, moved to its current location.