Browse All Collections

1920s Charleston Scenes

Sixteen ca. 1920s photographs of scenes in Charleston, South Carolina, affixed to pages removed from a photograph album, four photos on each side. Includes views of the Charleston waterfront, the Ashley River Bridge, Hampton Park, and aerial views across the Charleston peninsula. Note: Zoom in on the photographs to see the landscapes! The landmark buildings …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

1938 Tornado Photograph Collection

On September 29, 1938, five tornadoes swept through the South Carolina Lowcountry, two of which ravaged parts of downtown Charleston, causing several fatalities and injuries and two million dollars in damages. The tornadoes damaged or destroyed almost everything in its path, particularly on Market Street, Broad Street near Church Street, and State Street. As with …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

1967 King Street Survey Collection

In 1967, Historic Charleston Foundation was deeply concerned about the conditions of the downtown area, particularly the commercial blocks of King Street. Because the Foundation believed that the survival of King Street as a thriving retail shopping district was vital, it launched a feasibility study to determine the potential of the area. The study examined …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

A Collection of Historic Bulletins from Voorhees College

This collection of historic bulletins from Voorhees College includes curricula, handbooks and manuals published between 1920-1981. The collection also includes academic records recorded between 1910-1921.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

A. Wolfe Davidson, The Man Behind the Sculpture

A. Wolfe Davidson created the Thomas Green Clemson statue in front of Tillman Hall (twice!). This exhibit provides a brief look at his Davidson’s life and the other works he created for Clemson University and other clients. Davidson was born in Russia in 1903, arrived in Greenville, South Carolina in the 1920s and enrolled as …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Abstract of Voter Registrations Reported to the Military Government, 1868

This abstract was created by order of the commander of the Second Military District in accord with 14 U.S. Stats. 429, 15 U.S. Stats.2, and 15 U.S. Stats. 14, which gave him ultimate responsibility for the registration of voters and the conduct of elections. The series was abstracted prior to 12 September 1868 from the …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

AccessAble Books, Print-on-Demand by USC Press

The University of South Carolina Press and the University of South Carolina Libraries are pleased to announce the launch of AccessAble Books. Titles published under this joint imprint are selected from the diverse collections of the Thomas Cooper Library and the South Caroliniana Library as a means to republish important out-of-print volumes of scholarship and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

African American Social Clubs

Meeting minutes of African American women’s social clubs including lists of members, dues collected, and programs sponsored.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Agricultural Society of South Carolina Visual Materials

Organized in Charleston, South Carolina as the South-Carolina Society for Promoting and Improving Agricultural, and Other Rural Concerns, the society was incorporated in 1795 as the Agricultural Society of South Carolina. Photographs in this collection depict meetings and officers of the Agricultural Society, exhibits, farm scenes, farmers’ markets, livestock, and other related subjects.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Albert Simons Papers, 1908-1977

Sketches of buildings and architectural features in Europe, Maryland, Turkey, Italy, Greece, France, South Carolina, and Spain, by Charleston architect Albert Simons.  Also included are sketches during his military service in Europe during World War I. The images depict buildings of France, and soldiers and civilians of many nationalities.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Alexander Glennie Journal, 1831-1859

Journal kept by Alexander Glennie concerning his activities as rector of All Saints (Episcopal) Church, Waccamaw, South Carolina. Includes a list of plantation chapels (Woodbourne, Laurel Hill, Brookgreen, Oaks, Litchfield, Waverly, Midway, True Blue, Hagley, Fairfield, Sandy Knoll, Cedar Grove, and Mount Arena); the constitution (1832) and minutes (1832-1838) of All Saints Sunday School (an …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Alexander McBeth Store Ledger, 1794

A handmade ledger book from 1794 belonging to Alexander McBeth & Company, who began operations in Greenville County in the early 1790s. The store stood on the White Horse Road. This ledger is held by the Greenville County Library System’s South Carolina Room.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Alice Ravenel Huger Smith Collection

The Alice Ravenel Huger Smith Collection contains the book, Twenty Drawings of the Pringle House (1917). This book was a collaboration with her father, D.E. Huger Smith. Alice R. Huger Smith (1876-1958), was part of the Charleston Renaissance and is remembered as a painter, printmaker, author, illustrator, historian and historic preservationist.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Allen University Digital Collections

Allen University has a rich and distinguished history. Founded in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the institution represents the dream of Daniel Alexander Payne (1811-1883), an apostle of black education in the United States, who saw the need for such a school among African Americans.  Payne’s dream was fulfilled by Richard Allen, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority

Photograph collection of Epsilon Tau Omega chapter members. The Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority was founded in 1908 at Howard University by African-American women.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

American Spinning Company

Contains photographs of the mill, village, and people of the American Spinning Company from the private collection of Robert “Bob” H. Duke of Greenville. Organized in 1895 by Oscar Sampson, James Orr, and Jacob Cagle American Spinning Company began as a two-story wooden building, but grew rapidly adding a new brick building and other additions …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Andrews Museum Collection

The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Angelica Singleton Van Buren Collection

Sarah Angelica Singleton was born in Wedgefield, South Carolina in 1818, the daughter of prominent South Carolina plantation owner, Richard Singleton, and his wife Rebecca Travis Coles. In 1838, Angelica would marry Abraham Van Buren, son of the 8th President of the United States, Martin Van Buren. During her father-in-law’s term of office, Angelica would …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Anita Pollitzer Family Papers

The Anita Pollitzer Family Papers is comprised of documents and photographs gathered by multiple members of the Pollitzer family. The collection contains correspondence, funeral programs, an issue of The Jewish Women Quarterly, Gustave M. Pollitzer’s prayer book in  the original Yiddish, marriage and birth certificates, tickets to events, and family photographs.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Anna D. Kelly Papers, 1930s – 1999

Anna D. Kelly (1913-2007) is known for her efforts to connect Lowcountry African Americans with the Highlander Folk School, most notably recruiting Septima Clark. A graduate of the Avery Normal Institute in Charleston, South Carolina, Kelly was a charter member of the Avery Institute of African American History and Culture. She then played a crucial …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project

In the 1950s many houses in Ansonborough were threatened with ”demolition by neglect,” having stood vacant or fallen into severe disrepair. In order to encourage homebuyers to move into the neighborhood to save these formerly unwanted treasures, Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF) was the first organization in the country to develop the Revolving Fund as a …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project Photograph Survey

Since its founding, Historic Charleston Foundation had been nursing its interest in the rehabilitation of an entire neighborhood.  However, a formal plan had not been devised until the late 1950s, a time when the historic Ansonborough neighborhood was in a state of decline, with many formerly grand houses in a state of severe disrepair and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Ariail-Kimball Genealogy

This collection contains genealogical information for the Ariail-Kimball and associated families including marriages, obituaries, military service, and family trees. These items are from the James and Lorraine Patterson Collection.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Armstrong Family Papers, 1900 – 1930

One of America’s foremost early twentieth-century African-American magic acts. J. Hartford Armstrong, his wife, Lille Belle Armstrong, and eventually their daughter, Ellen Armstrong, performed feats that included mind reading, slight of hand, and card tricks. This collection of 127 items includes letters, photographs, and newspaper clippings.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Atheneum: Yearbook of Coastal Carolina University

Atheneum, the Coastal Carolina University yearbook, was published from 1969 to 1997. The yearbooks allow us to trace change in the culture and attitudes of students on the CCU campus throughout the years. The 1969 yearbook is considered to be the first volume because previous editions were included as part of Garnet and Black, the University …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Avery Normal Institute

Founded in 1865, the Avery Normal Institute provided education and advocacy for the growing Charleston African American community and trained blacks for professional careers and leadership roles. Although the Institute closed its doors in 1954, it graduates preserved the legacy of their alma mater by establishing the Avery Institute of Afro-American History and Culture. This …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Avery Research Center Oral History Collection

The Avery Research Center houses a variety of oral history interviews, largely documenting African American experiences in the Lowcountry. Oral history projects include the Avery Normal Institute documentation effort and the Sea Island Preservation Initiative.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Avery Research Center Sweetgrass Basket Collection

The Avery Sweetgrass Basket Collection holds significant modern examples of a centuries-old craft. Following African traditions, baskets of coiled grasses were originally produced by slaves on Lowcountry plantations for agricultural use. Over time, sweetgrass baskets have become artistic expressions that retain the African aesthetic — a symbol of African American culture and a signature of …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Barnwell Family Papers

This collection consists mostly of the correspondence, with some related materials, of the Barnwell family of Beaufort and lowcounty South Carolina. Topics covered by various family members include the solace of religion; ministering in various Episcopal Churches in South Carolina (1830s-1860s); temperance; conflict and disagreement (1830s-1860s) with the Roman Catholic Church and Father John Fielding’s …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beaty Family Scrapbook

The Beaty Family Scrapbook contains images of the family during their time spent in Murrells Inlet during the years 1908-1915. The family purchased the Hermitage in 1905 and spent many happy days fishing and swimming in the inlet.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beaufort and the Sea Islands

Beaufort and the Sea islands, a guide prepared by Federal Writer’s Project, Works Progress Administration, South Carolina, 1938. Sponsored and published by the Clover Club.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beaufort Hurricane of 1893 Photograph Collection

This collection features 20 photographs that record the damage caused by the hurricane that swept through Beaufort County on August 27th, 1893. Images captured include wrecked and stranded ships and steamers, including the “City of Savannah,” damaged buildings and wharves and a debris covered Bay Street. For more information, please see the companion publication, The …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beaumont E Newspaper Collection

Built in 1890 during the southern textile boom, the Beaumont Manufacturing Company was established thanks to efforts of J.H. Sloan (president), John B. Cleveland, Joseph Walker (original landowner), H.A. Ligon, C.E. Fleming, and Vardry McBee.  In addition to capitalizing on the growth of the textile industry in the upstate region of South Carolina, Sloan wanted …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beautifying and Improving Greenville, S.C.

In 1907, the landscape architecture firm Kelsey & Guild, of Boston, MA, prepared a report for the Municipal League of Greenville in which they outlined, “the possibilities for beautifying and improving Greenville and…practical ways to accomplish results.”  This report, presented here in its final published version as well as the typescript version initially submitted to …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Belle W. Baruch Collection

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Belle W. Baruch Library Collection

Shallow Water Marine Benthic Macroinvertebrates of South Carolina: Species Identification, Community Composition and Symbiotic Associations by Richard S. Fox and Edward E. Ruppert


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Berkeley County High School

The first totally county-funded school in Berkeley County was established in 1912 in Moncks Corner. Students of all ages attended. By 1928, the number of students had dramatically increased. A separate high school was needed. Construction began on a two-story brick building with twelve classrooms, a library, and an office. Berkeley High School was student-ready …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Mary Palmer’s Composition Book

A descendent of French Huguenot, Isaac Mazyck, who settled in South Carolina in 1686, Mary Louisa Palmer (daughter of Henry Milner Palmer and Julia Palmer) was born near Eutawville, South Carolina on August 2, 1874.  It is unknown where Miss Palmer attended school. Her grandson, Keith Gourdin of Pineville, S. C. has the copy book in his collection. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre

William Friddell and Lois Thornley opened The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre in 1950. Its parking ramp capacity was 200 cars. Poles by each parking space held two small, wired, portable aluminum speakers (one for the driver of the car, and one for the passenger of the car next to it). The speakers were made to hang …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Yeamans Hall Club

Yeamans Hall Club, still in existence, is on the original 1,070 (of the 6000) acres of land bestowed to Sir John Yeamans (Baronet) by the Lords Proprietors for his loyalty to King Charles II (1665). The first plantation house built in 1674 stood for nineteen years. In 1695, the new owner, Landgrave Thomas Smith II …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County Photograph Collection

Once part of an album, the photographs (circa 1900) show plantations, African Americans, horses, hunting, rice threshing, wagons and carts, and churches in Berkeley County, S.C. Some featured landmarks are: Medway, Wappahoola, Mulberry Castle, Dean Hall (bulk of collection,) Dockon, Bushy Park, Exeter, Cote Bas, Bippy, Lewisfield, Strawberry Chapel, Strawberry ferry, and pine land house. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989

The Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989 provide information regarding Robinson’s role as a teacher and social activist for voter education, adult literacy, child development, and social work.


Quick Access:

Bessie Norris Wofford collected funeral programs, 1957-1991

Funeral programs, 1957-1991 (bulk 1975-1991), collected by Bessie Norris Wofford, primarily of services in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, particularly Roebuck and Walnut Grove. Also included are a small number of programs for services for natives of South Carolina held in other states and programs for a service to license for Brother Alan W. Ferguson and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bettie La Barbe Postcard Collection

Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 – 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly’s Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beulah Glover Photograph Collection

In about 1937 Miss Beulah Glover (17 Aug. 1887 – 4 Jan. 1991) opened a photography studio in Walterboro, S.C. Being also an historian, Miss Glover shot many historical scenes in the Lowcountry. She converted some of these images to postcards and sold them in her studio, Foto-Nook. She also used images to illustrate her …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bicentennial Photograph Collection

This collection of photographs was donated to Richland Library in 1987 in honor of the bicentennial of the founding of the city of Columbia in 1786. The collection was created from copies of photographs, programs and lithographs of historic images of Columbia, S.C. Due to copyright restrictions, some images in the Bicentennial Collection are not …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Black and White Negatives of South Carolina State Parks

The Black and White Negatives of South Carolina State Parks is primarily composed of images taken by the State Forestry Commission, the agency which operated the parks from 1934-67. Additional black and white negatives in this collection were produced by the State Park Service in the 1970s. This collection documents the administration and public use …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Black History in Spartanburg

Black history in the Spartanburg area remains obscured by the biases and scarcity of early records. By 1790, the first year with a reliable population estimate, Spartanburg County was home to 866 black slaves and 27 “free persons not white,” representing about 10% of the total population.  At the time of emancipation, some 8,300 African-Americans lived in Spartanburg County, around 30% …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bobbin and Beaker

The Bobbin and Beaker was an official student publication of the Clemson School of Industrial Management and Textile Science. Organized in November 1939 by Iota Chapter of Phi Psi Fraternity for the Clemson Textile School, the first issue of this semiannual publication arrived in March 1940 for the students, textile school graduates, and the textile …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bonds Conway Papers, 1763 – 1907

Papers of Bonds Conway (1763-1843), a free African-American resident of Camden (Kershaw County, S.C.). This collection of family letters, land papers, and other items documents several generations of a free family of color from the 18th through the 20th centuries in South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas, east Texas, and elsewhere. Topics discussed include social relations during …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery