Southern Wesleyan University was originally established in 1906 as the Wesleyan Methodist Bible Institute, whose mission was to develop Christian character in its students while giving thorough intellectual training. In 1959, Wesleyan Methodist College became Central Wesleyan College. In 1986, Central Wesleyan added an adult program known as Leadership Education for Adult Professionals (LEAP), currently known as Adult and Graduate Studies – a program where classes are offered not only in Central, but also in Greenville, Columbia, Charleston and North Augusta. In 1994, Central Wesleyan became Southern Wesleyan University. Southern Wesleyan University is part of The Wesleyan Church, a worldwide body of evangelical Protestants.