Spartanburg County’s first Library opened in 1885 on Morgan Square in downtown Spartanburg. The Library was a gift of Mrs. Helen Fayssoux Stevens Kennedy as a remembrance of her husband, Dr. Lionel Chalmers Kennedy, a respected and loved physician. Today, the Spartanburg County Public Libraries includes a Headquarters and nine branch libraries as well as the Bookmobile, Home Delivery, and the Libraries’ online digital library. Simply put, the Libraries’ mission is Create – Connect – Change. The Spartanburg County Public Libraries is creating a culture of lifelong learning by connecting people ideas and information resulting in a community pursuing positive change.