The Roper Hospital Digital Collections consist of archival records documenting the construction, management, and administration of Roper Hospital. Roper Hospital was established by the Medical Society of South Carolina “to treat all sick and injured people without regard to complexion, religion, or nation.” In 1856 the first Roper Hospital building, located adjacent to the Medical College of South Carolina building on Queen Street in Charleston, opened to patients. In addition to caring for patients, Roper Hospital also served as a teaching facility for the medical students at the Medical College. Please note that this collection is intimately related to the Medical Society of South Carolina Digital Collections and all researchers should consult both collections to obtain a complete picture of the management of Roper Hospital. The records detail all activities of the Roper Board of Trustees concerning the administration of Roper Hospital.