ExploreView Homepage View in Catalog
William Friddell and Lois Thornley opened The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre in 1950. Its parking ramp capacity was 200 cars. Poles by each parking space held two small, wired, portable aluminum speakers (one for the driver of the car, and one for the passenger of the car next to it). The speakers were made to hang from the front passenger partially rolled-down window glass. Later, the car’s radio delivered the sound for the movie. The collection of movie programs from 1967-68 were souvenirs Ruth Floyd saved from her dates with Billy Ott, her future husband. The aerial photograph was taken around the same time.
- Berkeley County Library
- Berkeley County
- Civil Rights Era (1955 - 1969)