The first totally county-funded school in Berkeley County was established in 1912 in Moncks Corner. Students of all ages attended. By 1928, the number of students had dramatically increased. A separate high school was needed. Construction began on a two-story brick building with twelve classrooms, a library, and an office. Berkeley High School was student-ready […]
The Jimmy Cornelius Stone (1938–2010) Collection of photographs and ephemera are the result of decades of avid local history and photo collecting. This collection includes photographs taken by Mr. Stone as well. His hobby has provided us snapshots of Berkeley County, primarily Moncks Corner, then and now.
A descendent of French Huguenot, Isaac Mazyck, who settled in South Carolina in 1686, Mary Louisa Palmer (daughter of Henry Milner Palmer and Julia Palmer) was born near Eutawville, South Carolina on August 2, 1874. It is unknown where Miss Palmer attended school. Her grandson, Keith Gourdin of Pineville, S. C. has the copy book in his collection. […]
William Friddell and Lois Thornley opened The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre in 1950. Its parking ramp capacity was 200 cars. Poles by each parking space held two small, wired, portable aluminum speakers (one for the driver of the car, and one for the passenger of the car next to it). The speakers were made to hang […]
Yeamans Hall Club, still in existence, is on the original 1,070 (of the 6000) acres of land bestowed to Sir John Yeamans (Baronet) by the Lords Proprietors for his loyalty to King Charles II (1665). The first plantation house built in 1674 stood for nineteen years. In 1695, the new owner, Landgrave Thomas Smith II […]