The St. Andrew’s Society is a social and benevolent organization founded in 1729 in Charleston, South Carolina. Named after the patron saint of Scotland, it is the oldest organization of its type and the progenitor for many other St. Andrews Societies in North and South America, Europe, and Asia. Established to “do generous and charitable actions… and [to] promote some public good,” the organization initially provided assistance through monetary handouts to the poor and disadvantaged of Charleston. Today the organization provides regular funding to various local charities and educational institutions each year.
This collection includes administrative, financial, and membership records, records of charitable assistance, and other materials of the St. Andrew’s Society of Charleston. Records document the social and benevolent activities of the St. Andrew’s Society between the years 1729 to 2001. Additional material in this collection will be digitized over time.