This collection of historic bulletins from Voorhees College includes curricula, handbooks and manuals published between 1920-1981. The collection also includes academic records recorded between 1910-1921.
A. Wolfe Davidson created the Thomas Green Clemson statue in front of Tillman Hall (twice!). This exhibit provides a brief look at his Davidson’s life and the other works he created for Clemson University and other clients. Davidson was born in Russia in 1903, arrived in Greenville, South Carolina in the 1920s and enrolled as […]
The University of South Carolina Press and the University of South Carolina Libraries are pleased to announce the launch of AccessAble Books. Titles published under this joint imprint are selected from the diverse collections of the Thomas Cooper Library and the South Caroliniana Library as a means to republish important out-of-print volumes of scholarship and […]
Fox News and Fox Movietone News camera crews covered the people and events of the country and, indeed, the world. From 1919 to 1963 these journalists aimed their viewfinders at the mundane and the spectacular. The resulting images—most of which still exist as camera negatives at Moving Image Research Collections—provide an unparalleled opportunity to glimpse […]
Organized in Charleston, South Carolina as the South-Carolina Society for Promoting and Improving Agricultural, and Other Rural Concerns, the society was incorporated in 1795 as the Agricultural Society of South Carolina. Photographs in this collection depict meetings and officers of the Agricultural Society, exhibits, farm scenes, farmers’ markets, livestock, and other related subjects.
Allen University has a rich and distinguished history. Founded in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the institution represents the dream of Daniel Alexander Payne (1811-1883), an apostle of black education in the United States, who saw the need for such a school among African Americans. Payne’s dream was fulfilled by Richard Allen, […]
The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and […]
The Anita Pollitzer Family Papers is comprised of documents and photographs gathered by multiple members of the Pollitzer family. The collection contains correspondence, funeral programs, an issue of The Jewish Women Quarterly, Gustave M. Pollitzer’s prayer book in the original Yiddish, marriage and birth certificates, tickets to events, and family photographs.
Anna D. Kelly (1913-2007) is known for her efforts to connect Lowcountry African Americans with the Highlander Folk School, most notably recruiting Septima Clark. A graduate of the Avery Normal Institute in Charleston, South Carolina, Kelly was a charter member of the Avery Institute of African American History and Culture. She then played a crucial […]
Founded in 1865, the Avery Normal Institute provided education and advocacy for the growing Charleston African American community and trained blacks for professional careers and leadership roles. Although the Institute closed its doors in 1954, it graduates preserved the legacy of their alma mater by establishing the Avery Institute of Afro-American History and Culture. This […]
The Avery Sweetgrass Basket Collection holds significant modern examples of a centuries-old craft. Following African traditions, baskets of coiled grasses were originally produced by slaves on Lowcountry plantations for agricultural use. Over time, sweetgrass baskets have become artistic expressions that retain the African aesthetic — a symbol of African American culture and a signature of […]
The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few […]
The Jimmy Cornelius Stone (1938–2010) Collection of photographs and ephemera are the result of decades of avid local history and photo collecting. This collection includes photographs taken by Mr. Stone as well. His hobby has provided us snapshots of Berkeley County, primarily Moncks Corner, then and now.
In about 1937 Miss Beulah Glover (17 Aug. 1887 – 4 Jan. 1991) opened a photography studio in Walterboro, S.C. Being also an historian, Miss Glover shot many historical scenes in the Lowcountry. She converted some of these images to postcards and sold them in her studio, Foto-Nook. She also used images to illustrate her […]
This collection of photographs was donated to Richland Library in 1987 in honor of the bicentennial of the founding of the city of Columbia in 1786. The collection was created from copies of photographs, programs and lithographs of historic images of Columbia, S.C. Due to copyright restrictions, some images in the Bicentennial Collection are not […]
The Black and White Negatives of South Carolina State Parks is primarily composed of images taken by the State Forestry Commission, the agency which operated the parks from 1934-67. Additional black and white negatives in this collection were produced by the State Park Service in the 1970s. This collection documents the administration and public use […]
The Bobbin and Beaker was an official student publication of the Clemson School of Industrial Management and Textile Science. Organized in November 1939 by Iota Chapter of Phi Psi Fraternity for the Clemson Textile School, the first issue of this semiannual publication arrived in March 1940 for the students, textile school graduates, and the textile […]
With the assistance of the Association of Farm Women and the South Carolina State Library in 1932 the Greenwood County Library bought its first Bookmobile, to serve those in more rural areas. The Bookmobile was used to get books to people that were over 5 miles away from Greenwood and could not easily get into […]
The Brookgreen Gardens Collection includes photographs from the archives of Archer and Anna Huntington who established Brookgreen Gardens in 1931. The couple designed the gardens to preserve the native flora and fauna as well as display sculptures by Anna and other artists in a natural setting. Many of the photographs include features of the garden, […]
The Caines Family Photograph Collection exhibits the history of the family, from their life at Clambank to the more recent duck decoy carvings completed by Jerry and Roy Caines. Residents of Georgetown County since the early eighteenth century, the collection includes photographs of both the Caines Brothers and Caines Boys, both known as decoy carvers, […]
Camp St. Mary, a catechetical summer camp for Catholic children, was founded near the Okatee River in Beaufort, South Carolina, by the Diocese of Charleston in 1928. Father James Linehan organized the religious vocation camp for children of Beaufort missions who were in need of catechetical instruction. The priests of the diocese and the Sisters […]
The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, […]
The Charles Cross Collection of Buchenwald Concentration Camp Photographs, 1945 is a collection of black and white photographs taken shortly after the liberation of Buchenwald Concentration Camp. Photographs include images of liberated inmates, a memorial dedicated to those who died at Buchenwald, and displays of the living conditions of the concentration camp.
This collection is comprised of a collection of letters and postcards between Charles Henry Meltzer and notable names of the musical community such as, Cécile Chaminade, Gustave Charpentier, Alphonse Daudet, and George Gershwin. Included in the collection is an autographed photo postcard of Cécile Chaminade.
This collection of city year books (1880-1951) provides an overview of the city of Charleston’s annual status. Each year begins with an opening address by the mayor that is followed by data and reports from various municipal departments. Information in the year books includes: reports on Charleston’s economy, infrastructure, education, public health, census data, and […]
The Civic Services Committee (CSC) (1942-1946) was the predecessor body to Historic Charleston Foundation. It was formed by the Carolina Art Association to address the need for architectural preservation and to implement city planning in response to growth. The Committee received grants from the Rockefeller Foundation and Carnegie Corporation, which were used to retain Frederick […]
The Civic Services Committee (CSC) (1942-1946) was the predecessor body to Historic Charleston Foundation. It was formed by the Carolina Art Association to address the need for architectural preservation and to implement city planning in response to growth. The Committee received grants from the Rockefeller Foundation and Carnegie Corporation, which were used to retain Frederick […]
This curated collection brings together diverse archival footage from the University of South Carolina’s Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC) documenting the Civil Rights movement, and the long struggle for equality and social justice in South Carolina and beyond. Comprised mainly of local television news outtakes from MIRC’s WIS-TV, WLTX-TV, and WBTW-TV News Collections, the digital […]
The South Carolina State Parks Civilian Conservation Corps Architectural Plans Collection consists of architectural drawings, plans and blueprints of South Carolina State Parks created during the Civilian Conservation Corps-era, 1934-1942. The plans were produced for administrative purposes by employees of the National Park Service, the United States Forest Service and the South Carolina Commission of […]
The Clariosophic Literary Society was one of two original student organizations established at South Carolina College in 1806. The Clariosophic and Euphradian Literary Societies sought to prepare their members for future leadership roles by strengthening their oratorical skills. This collection comes from USC’s South Caroliniana Library and comprises 132 volumes of society records, spanning the […]
Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees who are appointed by the State Legislature. The Board’s main responsibility is to govern […]
The Clemson College Class of 1939 is a unique class. After graduation, not only did almost all of its members serve in World War II (with 26 making the ultimate sacrifice), but they also made a series of commitments to the University at their 50th Golden Anniversary Reunion in 1989 that have both served to […]
Minutes and reports of Clemson University’s Board of Trustees from 1888 to the present. Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees […]
Items in this collection represent annual reports for the extension state and county offices, as well as separate reports for the African American extension agents. Started in 1907 with Dr. Seaman Knapp, an agriculturist and special agent for the USDA, the program was intended to be farm demonstrations to instruct farmers on proper farming techniques. […]
The Clemson University Football Program Cover Collection comes from the University Archives, and features 198 unique cover layouts of both home and away games. Typical of sports programs, these covers are the combined efforts of illustrators, graphic artists and printers that worked with the University Athletic Department to create these souvenirs, which contained biographical information […]
The Clemson annual yearbooks have been a tradition since 1899, when the first issue was published as the Clemson College Chronicle. Since 1899, the yearbook has had several names: Clemson College Chronicle (1899-1900) The Clemsonian (1901) Clemson College Chronicle (1902) The Oconeean (1903-1904) The Chronicle (1905) Clemson College Annual (1906-1907 )In 1908, Taps became the […]
The Cleveland L. Sellers, Jr. Papers is comprised of papers relating to the Orangeburg Massacre, February 5-8, 1968. Included in the collection is a poem, a collection of Western Union telegrams, press releases, a fact sheet created by the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, flyers, photographs, and a resolution from the Student Legislative Council of the University […]
The College of Charleston Magazine was published monthly by the students of the College of Charleston during the academic year, under the auspices of the Chrestomathic Society. It’s aim was “to foster and encourage a literary spirit among the students, to bring the College more into public prominence than it has heretofore been, and also […]
The Colleton County Memorial Library has provided bookmobile service since 1937, started by Isabel Patterson Heaton and Elma S. Rogers. The library continues to provide bookmobile service to rural areas and child care centers throughout the county. This collection features photographs, scrapbooks, newspaper articles from The Press and Standard, and a Library Week guest book.
The Colleton County Memorial Library Scrapbooks and Photograph Albums Collection contains a sampling of images from the scrapbooks, photo albums and other image portfolios in the holdings of Colleton County Memorial Library. Included in this collection is the Future Farmers of America Scrapbook, which features newspaper clippings, photographs, postcards, and other documents related to the […]
The Columbia Army Air Base was established by United States War Department in West Columbia, South Carolina for training flight crews. Airmen flew on bombing missions at warfronts across the globe. These images were scanned from the personal collection of William Hamson, who served as an air base photographer from 1942 to 1945.
William M. Halsey, an American artist (1915-1999), established the studio art program at the College of Charleston in 1964. He served as assistant professor and artist-in-residence at the College for nearly twenty years; upon his retirement the faculty voted unanimously to name the art gallery at the College in his honor. Corrie McCallum, Halsey’s wife, […]
The collection of artifacts pertaining tot he Craft and Crum families of the Lowcountry includes a myriad of materials; photo albums, letters, account books, and land deeds. The Craft Family Photo Album includes images of Craft family members, famous abolitionists, and other family friends, many of international historical significance. Also included in the collection are legal […]
This collection contains letters and other materials surrounding the life of five-term U.S. congressman David Wyatt Aiken, who biographers have styled “South Carolina’s Militant Agrarian.” Born in 1828 in Winnsboro (Fairfield County, S.C.), Aiken served as a colonel in the Confederate Army and later went on to serve in the S.C. House of Representatives. He […]
In the Early 1870s, one of the greatest diamond rushes began in South Africa after the discovery of a valuable diamond on the Orange River. This collection consists of five items that represent some of the earliest publications describing the diamond fields of South Africa. Published between 1870 and 1917, this collection of monographs, essays, […]
This collection contains diaries, travelogues, ledgers, correspondence, inventories, plats, sketches, architectural drawings of Charles Drayton III and others, relating mainly to affairs at Drayton Hall and other family plantations. Collection also includes artwork, reflections on eighteenth century literature, deeds, newspaper clippings and photographs.
The Dreamkeepers Collection contains photographs of some of the most significant African-Americans in Georgetown County, including Joseph H. Rainey, the first African-American to serve in the United States Congress. Founded in 1978, the Committee for African American History Observances (CAAHO)
E. Don Herd created these negatives while a student at Belton High School, Belton, S.C. and a few later while at Erskine College. Subjects include Belton and Easley high schools athletic teams, clubs, class officers, and homecoming. Community life is also exhibited through negatives of the Belton City Council, businesses, churches, weddings, reunions, portraits, Christmas […]
E. T. Start of New York State moved to Camden, South Carolina in 1903, as the photographer at the Kirkwood Hotel. Photographing the Winter Colony and local scenes, he spent time in Camden until c. 1945. This collection of 200 photographs includes images of people, animals, and houses in Camden, S.C., in particular horse-drawn vehicles, […]
Eugene C. Hunt graduated from the Avery Normal School and went on to Talladega College, where he received a Degree in English in 1940. He earned a Masters Degree in Theater from Northwestern University in 1954 and continued with postgraduate study in Speech and Education. Mr. Hunt taught English and Speech at Burke High School […]
About The Winns of Fairfield County: Brothers William, Col. John, and General Richard Winn migrated from Fauquier County, Virginia to Fairfield County in the years just preceding the Revolutionary War. All three, along with several sons, fought for the Patriot’s cause with the local militias. In 1785 the brothers petitionedfor a charter and laid out the town […]
The Fall Line is a geographic region within South Carolina where the rivers are no longer navigable from the Low Country. This area, which stretches from Cheraw on the Pee Dee River to Hamburg (present day North Augusta) on the Savannah River, yielded experiences and material culture that were characteristic of its peoples. The goods […]
This collection contains Bible records for a number of South Carolina families. They date from the late 1700s to the late 1900s. The Bible records contain information on births, marriages, deaths, and other notable events that occurred within the families. Read more…
The collection contains seven million feet of nitrate motion picture film and four million feet of safety motion picture film documenting the national and global politics and culture from 1919 through 1934 and from September 1942 through August 1944. Paper holdings provide detailed notes generated by original camera crews as well as ephemera related to […]
“Fox Movietone News: the War Years, 1942 – 1944,” a collaboration between the University of South Carolina and the Library of Congress, provides online access for the first time to over two hundred Fox Movietone News newsreels released in American theaters from September 1942 through August 1944. Before the era of television news broadcasts, newsreels were shown […]
The Francine Ajzensztark Taylor Papers is an assembly of black and white photographs of the Ajzensztark and Taylor families and friends. Francine Ajzensztark resided in Paris France during the Second World War when she worked as a file clerk for American military forces at Orly Field air base. At Orly Field she met her husband, Harry […]
This collection contains over 2,000 historical images of Furman University including photographs and glass plate negatives from Furman University (both the downtown Greenville campus and the current campus) and Greenville Woman’s College. The images from this collection date from 1865 through 1989 with the majority of the images from the 1930s – 1960s. […]
Browse postcards from the Furman University Special Collections and Archives. Postcards are from the Ethel Howard Postcard Collection, the Furman University Postcard Collection, the South Carolina Postcard Collection, the Greenville Woman’s College Collection, and the Judson Collection.
The Georgetown County Library Photograph Collection is compiled of photographs of individuals who lived in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th century. Names such as LaBruce, Ehrich, Sampson, Ward, and Gasque make up this unique collection of photographs that have been donated to the Georgetown County Library
The Georgetown County Museum Collection exhibits photographs from families, plantations and other images from Georgetown County locals. The black and white images offer a rare glimpse in the lifestyle of Georgetown County in the first half of the twentieth century. Photos come from the Butler, Brightman and Harriet Morgan families, Caledonia Plantation, Lark Hill Plantation […]
The 20th Century Newspaper Collection spans from 1902-1999. Titles include: The Georgetown Daily Item (1907-1912), The Sunday Outlook (1902-1912), The Carolina Field (1905), The Georgetown Times (1905-1999), The Andrews News (1949) and The Daily Item (1912).
The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.
Gertrude Sanford Legendre (1902–2000) was an American socialite who served as an OSS operative during World War II. She was also a noted explorer, big-game hunter, environmentalist, and owner of Medway plantation in South Carolina. The collection includes scrapbooks of Gertrude’s travels and family life, loose photographs ranging in date from the mid to late […]
This collection from the Greenwood County Library contains photographs of local military men. Many pictures have name and rank listed, but some are not known. The photographs are from the United States Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine, and Navy. Digitization assistance provided by the South Carolina State Library’s Digitization in a Box Program.
This collection from the Greenwood County Library contains photographs from the 1900s that include library programs, book displays, library buildings, bookmobiles, and library staff. Digitization assistance provided by the South Carolina State Library’s Digitization in a Box Program.
This photograph collection is a small portion of USC Aiken’s historical Gregg-Graniteville Archive of documents and memorabilia of the Graniteville Company, a major Southern textile manufacturing firm founded in 1845 by William Gregg. The archive represents the only collection in existence devoted to William Gregg and the Graniteville Company. It was developed over the years […]
After growing up very poor on a farm as the fifth of eight children, Gussie Kennerly Johnson (1915-2000) defied the odds: she got a college degree and served as an officer in the U.S. Army during World War II as a member of the Women’s Army Corps (WACs). After the Pearl Harbor attacks on December […]
The Harry Blas and Erika Stockfleth Blas Papers is a collection of black and white family photographs and a short personal narrative authored by Harry Blas. The photographs are primarily of family members, however, eight photos are listed as having ‘unidentified’ subjects. Also included is a short personal narrative by Harry Blas chronicling his young adulthood […]
Housed in the Archives of the Chester County Historical Society, the Henry O. Nichols collection contains an estimated 250,000(+) images taken by Mr. Nichols (1900–1991) over a span of 79 years (1911–1990). The Collection depicts images of everyday life, from birth to death, in and around Chester County, South Carolina as well as examples of […]
The Herald-Journal Willis Collection is the centerpiece of the Spartanburg County Public Libraries’ visual arts holdings. The collection of over 400 historical photographs was donated by the Herald-Journal in 1999. Most of the photographs were taken by Alfred Tennyson Willis, a Spartanburg commercial photographer, and date from the early 1900s to the 1940s. Alfred’s son […]
One of the first fundraising programs developed by Historic Charleston Foundation after its incorporation in 1947 was its annual spring tours of historic houses, during which trained “hostesses” would guide visitors through several private homes in Charleston’s historic district. In addition to raising revenue to support Historic Charleston Foundation’s preservation efforts, the tours performed an […]
Moving Image Research Collections’ holdings of amateur films and home movies documents family life, holiday celebrations, vacation travel and much more. These films, created in many locations across the United States and across the globe as well, represent a period of time spanning from the early 20th century to the 1970’s.
This collection consists of photographs and slides from the institutional records of the Charleston County Public Library. These images span the first four decades of the history of the institution, from its founding in 1931 as the Charleston Free Library, through 1969. The collection contains images from various library branches and service points, including the […]
This collection includes indexes and finding aids for historical and genealogical information pertaining to Columbia, Richland County, and the Midlands. In addition, Local History staff maintain a guide to relevant subject indexes and finding aids available both from Richland Library as well as from other institutions focusing on local history and genealogy in the area. […]
The collection contains, primarily, the correspondence of Isaiah Bennett, President of the Charleston Chapter of the A. Philip Randolph Institute. Isaiah Bennett (1926-2002) served as a union representative for tobacco workers at the American Tobacco Company’s “Cigar Factory” and as a leader and negotiator of the Charleston Hospital Workers’ Strike of 1969. Bennett also founded […]
Newman was a Methodist pastor, civil rights activist, and entrepreneur. A leading figure in the Civil Rights movement in South Carolina, he helped organize the Orangeburg branch of the NAACP in 1943, helped found the Progressive Democratic Party, and served the South Carolina NAACP as state field director from 1960 to 1969. In 1983, at […]
J. Arthur Brown was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1914. After graduating from the Avery Institute in 1932 he continued his education at South Carolina State College in Orangeburg, SC graduating in 1937. While at SCSC, Brown met his future wife MaeDe Esperanza Myers (1918-2012), marrying in 1940. The couple had three daughters: MaeDe […]
John J. (“Jack”) Keilen (d. 1999) was a native of Pittsburgh and received a Ph.D. in chemical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. He came to Charleston during the mid-1940s, working first for West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company and later Charleston Rubber Company. An avid amateur photographer throughout his life, Mr. Keilen took several thousand […]
The Joe Engel Papers collection is a composition of black and white photographs taken of the Engel family in their hometown of Zakroczym, Poland before the war and one month after liberation. Also in the collection are photographs of Joe Engel at the displaced persons camp of Zeilsheim and after his relocation to Charleston, South Carolina.
The John Moak’s WWII Diary Collection documents the life of John Calhoun “Cal” Moak (1920-1961). He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Calhoun Moak of Columbia, S.C. He received his wings and ratings as a flight officer on August 30, 1943 at Lubbock, Texas. His diary begins August 30, 1943 and runs through […]
The series of photograph albums document the time that John Shaw Billings (1898-1975) and his extended family spent at the Redcliffe plantation in Aiken County, South Carolina. Known for his position as the first managing editor of Life Magazine, Billings purchased Redcliffe in 1935 from his uncle Henry Cumming Hammond (1868-1961) for $15,000. Even before […]
John West served his state and nation well as a soldier during World War II, as a member of the South Carolina Senate, as Lieutenant Governor, as Governor, and as United States Ambassador to Saudi Arabia during the administration of President Jimmy Carter. Returning from Saudi Arabia, West practiced law, lectured on government and the […]
This core unit of three hundred fifty items-two hundred sixty-two manuscripts (letters, speeches, reports, narratives, and affidavits) and miscellaneous printed artifacts (news clippings, programs, booklets), and eighty-eight photographs-added to the papers of the late Joseph Armstrong De Laine (1898-1974) covers chiefly the period from 1942, when he submitted his annual report as secretary of the […]
The Kaminski House Museum Collection features images taken by Harold and Julia Kaminski of their Georgetown home, travels around the world and their friends and family. Harold Kaminski, the son of Heiman and Rose Kaminski of Georgetown, married Julia Pyatt on December 12, 1925 in the Prince George Episcopal Church Rectory. Julia left the house […]
In 1912, a group of wealthy businessmen from Wilmington, Delaware, formed the Kinloch Gun Club on the North Santee river. They purchased 14 tracts of land and used the former rice fields for duck hunting, built a new clubhouse and employed many of the local men and women as hunting guides and housekeepers. By the […]
Kline Iron and Steel Company (1923-2003), known for its high quality products and services, had a reciprocal reputation of loyalty and respect between employees and owners. Through the thirty-plus oral history interviews in this collection, narrators share their stories of family, community, friendship, and work. As recalled by many, working with Kline was like being […]
The Laura Bragg Papers collection at The Citadel Archives and Museum contain letters written to Miss Bragg from Chinese cadets before and after their graduation from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina from 1926 to 1948. Topics of the letters include career plans, The Citadel, political beliefs, Chinese culture, history, and military events. […]
The Lawrence Layden Scrapbook contains photographs and papers documenting his wartime service. Lawrence Layden was a Captain in the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group during World War II. Personal papers consist of induction papers, forms listing the date for reverting to inactive service, military security passes, promotion papers, transfer papers, letters of recommendation to attend Officer Candidate […]
The Leah Greenberg Postcard Collection is comprised of over 900 postcards of historic houses, parks, forts, landmarks and more in and around Charleston, South Carolina. Postcards available for viewing online depict houses on South Battery and other buildings in downtown Charleston, Magnolia Cemetery, Cypress Gardens, Hampton Park, and various wrought iron gates.
The Local Television News Collections at Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC) comprise approximately 1.5 million feet of 16mm motion picture film outtakes dating from the late 1950s to the early 1980s, donated by several South Carolina television stations. These outtakes document over two decades of local people and events, as well as reportage surrounding significant […]
This collection includes an illustrated pamphlet that gives a brief history of the Dock Street Theatre in Charleston, South Carolina and provides rich physical details about the building, including photographs, floor plans and cross sections. Another pamphlet highlights some of Charleston’s well known attractions.
This collection consists of parish registers, with records of baptisms, marriages, burials, and communions, in addition to lists of members, pastors, and church officers. The originals, most of which reside at the individual churches, were microfilmed and now digitized to extend easier access to these valuable records. Currently, only records from Lexington County are available. We […]
This book describes the history of Bamberg, South Carolina, with maps, photographs, and text regarding the antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction eras; more specific chapters discuss the buildings, businesses, schools, churches, occupations and people of the 1890s. Genealogical charts and other information document the Copeland and various other families of Bamberg County, South Carolina, through […]
The Maps of Columbia and Richland County collection features an assortment of historic maps of Columbia and the surrounding areas. These maps depict streets, political boundaries, and school zones from the early twentieth century. These maps along with additional maps are located in the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library.
Marguerite Andell was born on November 6, 1884 on John’s Island. Ms. Andell was a graduate of Roper Hospital’s School of Nursing in 1914, and was elected Superintendent of Nurses in 1924, a position in which she proposed ideas that were ahead of her time. She retired in 1948 after working for 24 years at […]
The Martha Mondschein Bauer Papers consists of a collection of black and white family photos taken before the start of World War II. Also included in the collection is a 1946 memo from the United Jewish Communities of Yugoslavia confirming the death of Martha Mondschein Bauer’s brother, Rene Mondschein, a telegram wired to Felix Bauer, 1940, […]
Watercolors by Charleston-born architect Maynard Pearlstine. These 24 watercolors depict scenes from Pearlstine’s Mediterranean cruise to Italy, Greece and Turkey in 2000, an eco-tour to the Marine Science Consortium on Virginia’s Eastern Shore in 2002, and a 2004 trip to China.
The Mayors of Columbia collection consists of portraits of the mayors and intendants of Columbia from John Taylor, the first intendant in 1806 to Bob Coble, mayor from 1990-2010. The original portraits are on display in the Columbia City Hall at 1737 Main Street. Portraits of some former mayors are not included in this collection. […]
Selections from the McLeod Family Papers include photographs and a “Crop Memoranda” book for McLeod Plantation on James Island in South Carolina. The visual images are comprised of various structures located on the property as well as the residents of McLeod Plantation. The “Crop Memoranda” book lists names and accounts of workers (1910-1921), notes on […]
The Medical Society of South Carolina Digital Collections includes the minutes of the Society for the years 1789-1986, as well as portraits of past presidents. Minutes for the years 1789-1924 are handwritten; 1925-1986 are typed. Minutes through 1945 are in bound volumes; 1946-1986 are loose-leaf. The bound volumes are presented here as complete volumes, while […]
The Medical University of South Carolina Yearbooks collection contains the School of Nursing’s Tres Anni (1948-1966) and the Medical College’s Caducean (1967-1970) annuals. The collection also contains a history of the School of Nursing, titled, “The School of Nursing of the Medical College of South Carolina: its story”, and written by Ruth Chamberlin, former Dean […]
This collection includes correspondence, certificates, photographs, and other materials related to Miriam DeCosta Seabrook’s education at Avery Institute and elsewhere, teaching career, and civic involvement; correspondence, speeches, and reports related to Dr. Herbert Seabrook, Sr.’s community and fraternal affiliations and to his medical career as a private practitioner and director of the Hospital and Training […]
Activist Modjeska Simkins of Columbia, S.C. served as the South Carolina State Secretary for the NAACP, 1941-1957; as Campaign Director for the renovation of Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital, 1944-1950; as Public Relations Director for the Richland County Citizens Committee, 1956-1988; and as President of the Southern Conference Educational Fund, 1972-1974. She also helped found, in 1921, […]
A Columbia civil rights activist, Simkins served as the South Carolina State Secretary for the NAACP, 1941 to 1957. She also had leadership roles in the renovation of Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital and the Richland County Citizens Committee. Simkins was a founder, in 1921, of the Victory Savings Bank of Columbia. Now called South Carolina Community […]
The Archives of the Morris College Richardson-Johnson Learning Resources Center chronicle over one hundred years of the college’s history through documents, convention publications, photographs, catalogs, alumni materials, videos and publications. The Morris College Digital Collections presented here include yearbooks and other college publications documenting the history of the institution. In the collection is the pictorial […]
The Muriel and Marcus Zbar Collection was donated by Dr. Marcus J. Zbar, a 1951 graduate of Vanderbilt University. The collection consists of artifacts originating in West and Central Africa and Papua New Guinea that Dr. Zbar privately purchased from various galleries across the United States.
The Murrells Inlet Photograph Collection features photographs taken by Monty Watson, a New Jersey native stationed in Murrells Inlet during World War II. These photograph showcase what life was like in Murrells Inlet working with the Crash Boat Crew during the 1940s.
The MUSC Anatomy Class and Dissection Room Photos is a collection primarily comprised of photographs depicting the Medical University of South Carolina students and their professors at work over cadavers in the dissection room. Also in the collection, photographs of the professors of the Anatomy Department at the Medical University of South Carolina and students […]
Browse selected newsletters and pamphlets scanned from microfilm. The current contents of the collection include the full run of the Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call, as well as pamphlets from South Carolina. Browse by Topic Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call South Carolina Pamphlets
This collection is comprised of first hand accounts, logs, and photographs of life on the U.S.S. Landing Craft Infantry 759 during World War II. The journaled account was written by Gerald Atherton forty years after his experiences. The Executive’s morning order book was kept by Lt. O.H. Wienges while on the Naval ship. The collection […]
In 1864, a 22-year-old seminary graduate named William Plumer Jacobs arrived in the small town of Clinton to become pastor of the Clinton Presbyterian Church (now the First Presbyterian Church, Clinton). Before his death in 1917, he was to transform the town. Wishing to make Clinton the Presbyterian center of the South, he was instrumental […]
The Pawleys Island Civic Association Collection features many of the historic photographs from Pawleys Island: A Century of History and Photographs. First settled by rice planters who looked for an escape from the deadly malaria that plagued the inland areas, the island continues to bring in both returning vacationers as well as first-timers who long to […]
Philip Simmons (1912-2009) was an African American blacksmith and artisan specializing in the craft of ironwork in Charleston, South Carolina. Simmons spent seventy-seven years crafting utilitarian and ornamental ironwork. His work is recognized within the state of South Carolina, nationally, and internationally. This collection, donated by the Philip Simmons Foundation, holds personal papers with photographs […]
The Pincus Kolender Papers consists of mostly black and white photographs of family members in Poland before World War II and in Germany after the war. Also included are photographs from Pincus’ marriage to Renee in Charleston, South Carolina, a group of survivors taken in Tel Aviv, Israel in the 1960s, and photographs of Pincus returning […]
Annually, the South Carolina Historical Association publishes a journal, The Proceedings, which consists of papers presented at the annual meeting and submitted to the journal for publication consideration. The papers presented at the annual meeting and submitted to the journal are refereed by professional historians prior to selection for publication. Only those papers that meet […]
Dixie Walker dedicated his life and career to intercultural understanding and he utilized his knowledge of East Asia in his work at home and abroad. He taught in numerous prestigious institutions as a professor of international studies before joining the faculty of the University of South Carolina in 1957. He founded the Institute of International […]
Richard Taylor was a resident of Lexington County, South Carolina and freelance photographer who took photographs of various people, places, and structures of Lexington County, South Carolina. The photographs were taken from approximately 1940 through 1976. Many of the people that were photographed by Mr. Taylor are deceased and many of the structures that he […]
In 2011 Robert B. Ariail donated an extraordinary collection of historical astronomy to the University of South Carolina and the South Carolina State Museum. Over the past half-century, Mr. Ariail built a collection that encompassed both historic telescopes and astronomical instruments, now at the State Museum, and more than 5,000 rare books and other published […]
The Russell J. Arnsberger Postcard Collection is comprised of over 350 postcards of houses, businesses, public buildings, street views, military base activities and structures in and around Beaufort, South Carolina. Some built structures pictured are no longer extant or have been greatly altered. Arnsberger collected postcards about Beaufort County beginning with some by Charles G. […]
The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.
The Samuel Hudson Photograph Collection features photographs from the Hudson family. Samuel Hudson (1921-2006), a native of Georgetown County, was the son of Melvin and Wilhelmina Hudson. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps during WWII and returned to Georgetown to operate several prosperous businesses including Hudson’s Real Estate Agency. He served as the director […]
Samuel Hyde was a photographer and amateur historian who lived in Charleston and in Summerville, S.C. He was the “chief cemetery investigator” for the South Carolina Public Service Authority during the creation of Lake Moultrie. This collection contains 2 groups of his photographs – 25 prints from the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition […]
The University of South Carolina libraries have been acquiring works by Scottish authors since the early nineteenth century. With the addition of the extensive G. Ross Roy Collection in 1989, South Carolina now has major research holdings across a wide range of Scottish writing. Indeed, in the words of one recent visitor, it is “the […]
The photographs by Randy Bradford from this collection of historical Spartanburg images are from the decade of the 1940s. Bradford recorded important events, political leaders, and visiting celebrities. His photographs also depict the everyday life and interests of Spartans from this era. Randolph B. (Randy) Bradford attended Spartanburg, South Carolina schools and graduated from Wofford […]
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Henry Willis, Jr., son of Robert Henry and Jessie Willis, was born in Williston, South Carolina in 1886. He was the first honor graduate of the Citadel in 1908. Henry Willis became interested in aviation in 1912 and learned to fly in San Diego, California. In December 1913 he received a Military […]
One of the nearly 200,000 men who passed through Camp Croft was Joseph Peter Pizzimenti of Detroit, MI. He was a musician in the jazz and marching bands at Croft from 1941 until early 1945. In addition to being a musician, Pizzimenti was a photographer and had permission to take pictures in camp. In 1945, […]
Legislative files, correspondence, printed material, voting records, and personal papers of Burnet Rhett Maybank (1899-1954), United States Senator from 1941 to 1954. Materials primarily relate to Maybank’s professional life as a United States Senator and include his legislative working files and constituent correspondence. The collection also includes a small amount of personal papers concerning Maybank […]
This scrapbook contains images, newspaper clippings, and correspondence from the life of Septima P. Clark, a Charleston educator and civil rights activist. Septima Poinsette Clark was born in Charleston, S.C. on 3 May 1898, the daughter of Peter Poinsette, who grew up a slave on the plantation of Joel Roberts Poinsett (with conflicting data saying […]
The Shuford Family Collection includes photographs of Shuford, his wife, Edna Butler Shuford, and his children. Robert Pou Shuford (1880-1941), served as Georgetown City Recorder, Police Chief, County Treasurer and owner of “Shuford’s Store” in Georgetown, SC. After his death, his widow, Edna, was appointed by the Governor of South Carolina to fill his position […]
Architectural drawings from the firm of Albert Simons and Samuel Lapham. Includes measured drawings of a country club in Ohio by Samuel Lapham; designs of the Ashley River Memorial Bridge; sculpture pedestals for the Gibbes Museum of Art; sundials, and garden plans.
Sol Blatt (1895-1986) represented Barnwell, Bamburg, and Allendale Counties in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1933 until his death in 1986. He also served as Speaker of the House almost continuously from 1937 until 1973. These documents reveal Blatt’s thoughts on issues such as race, economic development, taxes, nuclear energy, and a number […]
Spanning five decades, the University of South Carolina’s collection of aerial photograph indexes consists primarily of projects commissioned by the United States Department of Agriculture. Showing cities, farms, forests, reservoirs, coastlines, and other features across the state, the indexes provide a visual overview of each project’s collection of individual aerial photographs, many of which are […]
The South Carolina State Library maintains an extensive print collection of materials published about South Carolina. The South Carolina Book Collection provides access to digitized copies of selected books in the public domain, including the Annual Reports of the Charleston Orphan House, Annual Reports of the Audubon Society of South Carolina, and published political speeches.
The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Bookmobiles Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s to the early 2000s. The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field agents. Portrayed in photographs […]
The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Children’s Library Services Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-2000s relating to library services for children. The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field […]
The South Carolina State Library maintains a print collection of federal documents as a member of the Federal Depository Library Program. Many of these documents are about South Carolina or include topics of regional interest. The South Carolina Federal Documents Collection provides access to digitized copies of selected publications written by U.S. federal government departments.
This digital collection features postcards from across the State of South Carolina. Browse this collection by county, or keyword search collection metadata using the search box. 10 counties are currently available, and more counties will continue to be added in the future. The originals are housed at South Caroliniana Library.
The South Carolina Public Library History, 1930-1945 collection consists of photographs and documents from the archives of the SC State Library. These digital images highlight public libraries, bookmobiles, librarians, and patrons from around the state. Many photographs and documents relate to the federal Works Project Administration (WPA) Library Project in South Carolina, which provided statewide library services […]
The South Caroliniana Library has been collecting photographs of train stations, depots, rail yards, engines, and rolling stock for many years. The images come in as single items, as part of other collections, or as collections of their own. There are also photographs of railways used by the mining and lumber industries. Presented here are […]
Since 1911 the South Carolina State Department of Education has published a yearly directory of schools in the state. Information catalogued in each issue is different; some issues include school and district information, Department of Education staff and programs, listings of private schools and colleges, statistics, and state educational associations. These directories provide valuable information […]
The South Carolina State Documents Depository Program sponsored by the South Carolina State Library provides access to publications produced by state agencies and state-supported academic institutions. These publications provide citizens with crucial information about state government, including statistics, annual accountability reports, and data on a wide variety of topics related to the state. Items in […]
This collection highlights the lives and experiences of American veterans who now call South Carolina home. Most major military conflicts including World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan are represented in the collection, as are all branches of the U.S. military. The veteran interviewees range […]
The map collection of the South Caroliniana Library has always been a significant resource for geographers, historians, and genealogists. In the past two hundred years, technological changes have substantially altered the landscape of South Carolina, and the library’s map collection visually documents these transformations. The maps show airports, battlefields, cemeteries, churches, cities, highways, Native American […]
This collection of photographs from the early twentieth century shows life on two South Santee River plantations: Hampton and the Wedge. Hampton Plantation was owned by the Rutledge family, including Archibald Rutledge, Poet Laureate of South Carolina. The Wedge plantation was built by William Lucas in 1826, and remained in the Lucas family until 1929. […]
This comprehensive set of Columbia area images includes 146 prints from periods ranging from 1865 to 1980. The collection was amassed from various long time photographers in the community such as John A. Sargeant, Charles Old and Walter Blanchard. They operated studios in the city from the period c. 1915 through 1960. The images include […]
The Tarbox Family Collection features images of Georgetown County in the early 1900s. The photos, taken by Frank G. Tarbox (1856-1940), include images of the Tarbox family and their travels throughout the United States, of Willowbank Plantation, and the first first airplane flight in Georgetown in July 1911.
The Agrarian is an official student publication of the Clemson University College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. Starting in December 1938, this college-wide publication focused on all aspects of agriculture with a main audience of agricultural leaders – county agents, specialists, agricultural teachers and instructors and leading farmers. It was published semiannually until the Spring/Summer […]
In 2010, Ms. Barbara Brown saw an old photograph album for sale at a local yard sale. Although she did not know any of the people in the album, she knew that it was a wonderful record of the life of a family. Ms. Brown purchased the album and donated it to the Camden Archives […]
The Citadel Oral History Program seeks to deepen understanding of the Lowcountry’s rich history and culture through the gathering and presentation of recorded memories from area residents. This collection currently houses a sample of interviews from the following series: Charleston and the Long Civil Rights Movement, Working Charleston, Women in World War II; and, The […]
Comprised of over 40 hours of motion picture film and video, photographs, paper records and equipment, this collection documents the careers of two distinguished news cameramen who were also father and son. Through home movies and photographs the collection provides rare insight into the personal lives of news cameramen from the silent and early sound […]
Prentiss Taylor (1907-1991) was a noted American artist who created 142 lithographs between 1931 and 1983. From 1942 to 1976 he was president of the Society of Washington Printmakers. He also worked as an art therapist for more than thirty years and taught oil painting at American University from 1955-1975. His collaboration with Langston Hughes […]
“The Lucille Hasell Culp Collection – A Celebration of Beaufort, South Carolina” contains a selection of 300 images, primarily photographic negatives, from the much larger Lucille Hasell Culp Collection. Here one finds selected images of enduring historical value to Beaufort, such as those relating to community and military events, built structures that are no longer […]
The Tiger is the student-run newspaper for Clemson University and its community. First produced on January 21, 1907, it is the oldest collegiate newspaper in the state of South Carolina. The weekly, national award-winning publication is distributed every Tuesday and Thursday on and off campus with a circulation of approximately 12,000.
Wilhelmine Kirby Waller first visited Camden in 1929 because she wanted to stay in a place where “the winter population never breathed without mentioning a horse.” She maintained a home in Camden until her death in 2004. Kirby and other members of the “winter colony” made a huge impact on Camden and surrounding areas. These […]
The Thomas Family and Muller Family papers along with related personal collections housed at the South Caroliniana Library at the University of South Carolina total approximately 32 linear feet. There are an additional 219 volumes of business ledgers from the Sandy Run Store and Thomas Store (Ridgeway, S.C.). All of these materials span 1702 through […]
Measuring 14 ½ x 20 inches the Polyconic Projections were first published in the late 19th Century. Some were produced by the Army, others by the Corps. of Engineers and the remainder were produced by the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The scale is 1:62500. The contour intervals vary. Measurements are shown in miles, feet […]
Vera Nathans Semel Papers consist of photographs of family members before and after World War II and Paerl family papers. Paerl papers contain birth certificates, a synagogue certificate, marriage certificates, a militia certificate, and a false identification card.
This digital collection brings together photographs of Columbia, S.C. from many different collections in the South Caroliniana Library. Dating from the 1880s through the 20th century, these photographs provide a visual record of the changes seen in the city. This collection will continue to grow and is not exhaustive of all of the Columbia images […]
Historically known as “The Walter Pantovic Slavery Collection,” these artifacts span the African American experience from slavery to the Civil Rights era to the rise of African Americans in popular culture. Walter Pantovic was born in Yugoslavia in 1965 and immigrated to the United States at the age of two. He became interested in African-American […]
The Walter S. McDonald Collection contains photos taken by McDonald during his time as a journalist and photographer for local newspapers. A Georgetown native, McDonald (1921-1976) was the son of Walter and Marian McDonald. He attended Winyah High School and Clemson University before serving in the military during WWII. In addition to his newspaper career, […]
William D. Workman, Jr. (1914-1990) was a well-known South Carolina journalist, author, newspaper editor, and talented photographer. His career as a newspaperman made him a household name throughout the state. A strong believer in states’ rights and the virtues of the Southern culture, Workman authored The Case for the South (1960), a statement of the South’s position […]
The postcard collection was started by Bill and Judy Lynch over 30 years ago. Both daughter, Tracie and granddaughter, Halie have been active participants as well. The collection is being shared with the Spartanburg County Public Libraries, to allow anyone with an interest in Spartanburg’s history access to these postcard images. In its entirety the […]
Pencil sketches and watercolors by Charleston-born architect William Martin Aiken. Includes images of grand houses (exterior and interior) with architectural details, gates and doors, churches and museums, sailing vessels and flora along the east coast of the United States and Europe.
A collection of photographs documenting homes, schools, colleges, churches, streets, landscapes, murals, artwork, and other aspects of South Carolina life, these images were collected by photographers hired as part of Federal Writers’ Project. The Federal Writer’s Project was created in 1935 as part of the United States Work Progress Administration to provide employment for various […]
Issued in 1941, The WPA Week in National Defense presented brief news items concerning the Work Projects Administration’s activities throughout the United States. Formerly the Works Progress Administration, this agency provided jobs in construction, adult education, writing, and art. The WPA Week described products of this work leading up to the second World War. The circulars cover subjects such […]
This collection features historic yearbooks from local schools in the Columbia area. Most yearbooks were generously donated by members of the community. Help us grow this collection! If you have any yearbooks to donate, please contact the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library, 1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, S.C., or (803) 929-3402. Check […]
The Young Women’s Christian Association of Greater Charleston, which originated in 1907, has served communities in Charleston and the Lowcountry area of South Carolina for over a century. Currently, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., strives to provide programs and services for all people and holds a mission to eliminate racism and to empower women. […]
This organization consisted of Jewish residents of Charleston who supported the creation of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The organization is known alternately in the minutes as Bnei Zion and the Charleston Zionist Society. The records cover the meetings held from 1917 through the 1940s, and document fundraising efforts on behalf of both international Zionist […]