The University of South Carolina Press and the University of South Carolina Libraries are pleased to announce the launch of AccessAble Books. Titles published under this joint imprint are selected from the diverse collections of the Thomas Cooper Library and the South Caroliniana Library as a means to republish important out-of-print volumes of scholarship and […]
Sketches of buildings and architectural features in Europe, Maryland, Turkey, Italy, Greece, France, South Carolina, and Spain, by Charleston architect Albert Simons. Also included are sketches during his military service in Europe during World War I. The images depict buildings of France, and soldiers and civilians of many nationalities.
A handmade ledger book from 1794 belonging to Alexander McBeth & Company, who began operations in Greenville County in the early 1790s. The store stood on the White Horse Road. This ledger is held by the Greenville County Library System’s South Carolina Room.
The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and […]
One of America’s foremost early twentieth-century African-American magic acts. J. Hartford Armstrong, his wife, Lille Belle Armstrong, and eventually their daughter, Ellen Armstrong, performed feats that included mind reading, slight of hand, and card tricks. This collection of 127 items includes letters, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
In 1907, the landscape architecture firm Kelsey & Guild, of Boston, MA, prepared a report for the Municipal League of Greenville in which they outlined, “the possibilities for beautifying and improving Greenville and…practical ways to accomplish results.” This report, presented here in its final published version as well as the typescript version initially submitted to […]
The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few […]
Once part of an album, the photographs (circa 1900) show plantations, African Americans, horses, hunting, rice threshing, wagons and carts, and churches in Berkeley County, S.C. Some featured landmarks are: Medway, Wappahoola, Mulberry Castle, Dean Hall (bulk of collection,) Dockon, Bushy Park, Exeter, Cote Bas, Bippy, Lewisfield, Strawberry Chapel, Strawberry ferry, and pine land house. […]
Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 – 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly’s Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her […]
This collection of photographs was donated to Richland Library in 1987 in honor of the bicentennial of the founding of the city of Columbia in 1786. The collection was created from copies of photographs, programs and lithographs of historic images of Columbia, S.C. Due to copyright restrictions, some images in the Bicentennial Collection are not […]
Papers of Bonds Conway (1763-1843), a free African-American resident of Camden (Kershaw County, S.C.). This collection of family letters, land papers, and other items documents several generations of a free family of color from the 18th through the 20th centuries in South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas, east Texas, and elsewhere. Topics discussed include social relations during […]
The C. Wayne Weart Apothecary Trade Cards collection includes late-19th century advertising cards from the private collection of Dr. C. Wayne Weart. The cards advertise pharmaceutical products, and typically feature colorful artwork on the front. The back of the cards usually had information about the product advertised and where it could be purchased. Some cards […]
The C. Wayne Weart Pharmacy History Collection features photographs of show globes, also known as carboys, as well as late-19th and early-20th century pharmacy catalogs and apothecary trade cards. These items are from the private collection of Dr. C. Wayne Weart, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of the MUSC College of Pharmacy.
The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, […]
Richard T. Brumby began to keep a catalogue of the mineral specimens during the 1840s. He never finished it and between 1856 and 1903, no formal record of new or existing specimens was kept. As a result, the only surviving information on the collection was contained in Brumby’s partial catalogue and the hastily scrawled paper […]
The papers of the Rev. Charles Stuart Vedder (1826–1917) consist primarily of letters as well as diaries spanning a period of over sixty years. Vedder moved from Schenectady, New York, to Columbia, South Carolina, to study at Columbia Theological Seminary. He was called upon to become pastor of the Summerville Presbyterian Church in June 1861. […]
In the first part of the 20th century, Greenville South Carolina was home to two colleges for women, Chicora College and the Greenville Woman’s College. This collection of materials includes yearbooks dating from 1901 to 1914 for Chicora College, which provides insights into both the everyday life and the academic world of young women of that […]
The City Directories of South Carolina are housed at the published materials division of USC’s South Caroliniana Library. This collection was digitized by the Internet Archive as part of a project funded by PASCAL in collaboration with LYRASIS, it includes directories from the cities of Anderson, Camden, Chester, Clinton, Gaffney, Laurens, Newberry, Sumter, and Union.
The Clariosophic Literary Society was one of two original student organizations established at South Carolina College in 1806. The Clariosophic and Euphradian Literary Societies sought to prepare their members for future leadership roles by strengthening their oratorical skills. This collection comes from USC’s South Caroliniana Library and comprises 132 volumes of society records, spanning the […]
Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees who are appointed by the State Legislature. The Board’s main responsibility is to govern […]
Minutes and reports of Clemson University’s Board of Trustees from 1888 to the present. Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees […]
The Clemson annual yearbooks have been a tradition since 1899, when the first issue was published as the Clemson College Chronicle. Since 1899, the yearbook has had several names: Clemson College Chronicle (1899-1900) The Clemsonian (1901) Clemson College Chronicle (1902) The Oconeean (1903-1904) The Chronicle (1905) Clemson College Annual (1906-1907 )In 1908, Taps became the […]
A collection of programs and ephemera representing a long history of performance and entertainment in Columbia. This collection spans the twentieth century and features playbills and programs from the historic Town Theater and other local theatrical productions as well as novelties such as dance cards, movie memorabilia and event tickets.
The collection of artifacts pertaining tot he Craft and Crum families of the Lowcountry includes a myriad of materials; photo albums, letters, account books, and land deeds. The Craft Family Photo Album includes images of Craft family members, famous abolitionists, and other family friends, many of international historical significance. Also included in the collection are legal […]
This collection contains letters and other materials surrounding the life of five-term U.S. congressman David Wyatt Aiken, who biographers have styled “South Carolina’s Militant Agrarian.” Born in 1828 in Winnsboro (Fairfield County, S.C.), Aiken served as a colonel in the Confederate Army and later went on to serve in the S.C. House of Representatives. He […]
The images in this collection have been created from a portfolio of book and manuscript leaves that was compiled and sold by The Society of Foliophiles in 1964. The collection was released in an edition of 20 sets that each contained 135 examples, and was titled “The History of the Written Word.” By using actual […]
In the Early 1870s, one of the greatest diamond rushes began in South Africa after the discovery of a valuable diamond on the Orange River. This collection consists of five items that represent some of the earliest publications describing the diamond fields of South Africa. Published between 1870 and 1917, this collection of monographs, essays, […]
This collection contains diaries, travelogues, ledgers, correspondence, inventories, plats, sketches, architectural drawings of Charles Drayton III and others, relating mainly to affairs at Drayton Hall and other family plantations. Collection also includes artwork, reflections on eighteenth century literature, deeds, newspaper clippings and photographs.
The Dreamkeepers Collection contains photographs of some of the most significant African-Americans in Georgetown County, including Joseph H. Rainey, the first African-American to serve in the United States Congress. Founded in 1978, the Committee for African American History Observances (CAAHO)
Late 19th and early 20th century photographic images of Due West Female College students and campus life. The DWFC opened in 1859 and was funded by a joint share-holding company, men mostly associated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The purpose was to give young women equal educational advantages with young men and to provide […]
During the second half of the nineteenth century, novelist Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte (E.D.E.N.) Southworth was one of the most popular writers in America, being read as widely in the United States and England as Mark Twain and Harriet Beecher Stowe. The E.D.E.N. Southworth Collection, an initiative of the Digital U.S. South project of the […]
E.E. Burson worked as a photographer in Denmark, South Carolina, and the surrounding areas of Bamberg County approximately between the years of 1905 and 1920. Burson not only worked in his Denmark studio, but he also photographed town scenes and nearby Voorhees College. Burson’s work is notable because he captured images of both white and […]
E. T. Start of New York State moved to Camden, South Carolina in 1903, as the photographer at the Kirkwood Hotel. Photographing the Winter Colony and local scenes, he spent time in Camden until c. 1945. This collection of 200 photographs includes images of people, animals, and houses in Camden, S.C., in particular horse-drawn vehicles, […]
These digital collections include diplomas, literary society membership certificates, class rings, and jewelry. Columbia College was founded in 1854 in Columbia, SC, by the United Methodist Church as a liberal arts college for women. Columbia College currently offers evening, graduate, and online programs serving both women and men in addition to the Women’s College. Established […]
The Edwin Hughes Collection is a large collection containing a wide variety of materials, including correspondence, scores, photographs, concert programs, magazine and newspaper clippings, published materials, and scrapbooks. There are also materials relating to classes Hughes taught and organizations in which he was active. The collection gives us an interesting and detailed picture of the […]
This digital collection contains a sample of photographs from the David and Annie Epting family collection. The items were donated by Julie (Derrick) Epting, widow of David Epting Jr. Photographs are from the Columbia, Lexington, and Newberry areas, and date between 1876-1955. Neighborhoods depicted include Shandon and Cottontown.
Erskine College and Theological Seminary is a private four-year liberal arts college and graduate theological seminary founded in 1837 (Seminary) and 1839 (College) and located in Due West, SC. The institution is affiliated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The McCain Library Department of Archives and Special Collections serves to preserve and provide access to […]
The folio, Examples of Colonial Architecture in Charleston, S.C. and Savannah, Ga., features photographic plates of some of the most important houses and buildings in Charleston and Savannah. Photographs include exterior views of the buildings, gates, and entrances, as well as interior views of fireplaces, mantels, doors, rooms, and ceilings. Compiled and photographed by Edward A. […]
About The Winns of Fairfield County: Brothers William, Col. John, and General Richard Winn migrated from Fauquier County, Virginia to Fairfield County in the years just preceding the Revolutionary War. All three, along with several sons, fought for the Patriot’s cause with the local militias. In 1785 the brothers petitionedfor a charter and laid out the town […]
The Fall Line is a geographic region within South Carolina where the rivers are no longer navigable from the Low Country. This area, which stretches from Cheraw on the Pee Dee River to Hamburg (present day North Augusta) on the Savannah River, yielded experiences and material culture that were characteristic of its peoples. The goods […]
This collection contains Bible records for a number of South Carolina families. They date from the late 1700s to the late 1900s. The Bible records contain information on births, marriages, deaths, and other notable events that occurred within the families. Read more…
The Francine Ajzensztark Taylor Papers is an assembly of black and white photographs of the Ajzensztark and Taylor families and friends. Francine Ajzensztark resided in Paris France during the Second World War when she worked as a file clerk for American military forces at Orly Field air base. At Orly Field she met her husband, Harry […]
Frank R. Fisher’s notes contain observations, drawings, and photographs relating to scientific studies, particularly astronomical observations made while Fisher was a resident in Charleston, S.C., during the 1880s. Fisher, a cashier at the South Carolina Railroad Company in Charleston, was an amateur scientist and inventor who occasionally worked in consultation with longtime College of Charleston […]
This collection contains over 2,000 historical images of Furman University including photographs and glass plate negatives from Furman University (both the downtown Greenville campus and the current campus) and Greenville Woman’s College. The images from this collection date from 1865 through 1989 with the majority of the images from the 1930s – 1960s. […]
Browse postcards from the Furman University Special Collections and Archives. Postcards are from the Ethel Howard Postcard Collection, the Furman University Postcard Collection, the South Carolina Postcard Collection, the Greenville Woman’s College Collection, and the Judson Collection.
This collection of glass plate negatives of Charleston and Summerville was made by George LaGrange Cook in the 1880s and early 1890s. The son of the famous Civil War photographer, George Smith Cook, LaGrange learned the art of photography from his father. He lived in Charleston and then Summerville before leaving around 1892 to join […]
The Georgetown County Library Photograph Collection is compiled of photographs of individuals who lived in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th century. Names such as LaBruce, Ehrich, Sampson, Ward, and Gasque make up this unique collection of photographs that have been donated to the Georgetown County Library
The Georgetown County Museum Collection exhibits photographs from families, plantations and other images from Georgetown County locals. The black and white images offer a rare glimpse in the lifestyle of Georgetown County in the first half of the twentieth century. Photos come from the Butler, Brightman and Harriet Morgan families, Caledonia Plantation, Lark Hill Plantation […]
Georgetown County Historical Newspapers Collection consists of newspapers dating from the early 1800s to 1899 from the Winyah Observer, the Pee Dee Times, the True Republican, the South Carolinian, the Winyah Intelligencer, the Georgetown American and the Georgetown Union.
The 20th Century Newspaper Collection spans from 1902-1999. Titles include: The Georgetown Daily Item (1907-1912), The Sunday Outlook (1902-1912), The Carolina Field (1905), The Georgetown Times (1905-1999), The Andrews News (1949) and The Daily Item (1912).
The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.
Greenville County coroner reports from February 1894 to December 1896 during the service of coroner James Sullivan Meeks. Each report includes jury summons, testimonies, post-mortem examinations, and verdicts. This volume is from the private collection of Scott Stephens of Greenville.
This photograph collection is a small portion of USC Aiken’s historical Gregg-Graniteville Archive of documents and memorabilia of the Graniteville Company, a major Southern textile manufacturing firm founded in 1845 by William Gregg. The archive represents the only collection in existence devoted to William Gregg and the Graniteville Company. It was developed over the years […]
The Harry Blas and Erika Stockfleth Blas Papers is a collection of black and white family photographs and a short personal narrative authored by Harry Blas. The photographs are primarily of family members, however, eight photos are listed as having ‘unidentified’ subjects. Also included is a short personal narrative by Harry Blas chronicling his young adulthood […]
Donated in 2010 by Hemrick Nathan Salley Jr., the Salley Family Sheet Music includes music from the 19th and 20th Centuries. These two bound volumes from the collection each have a distinct focus: one on popular piano music from the mid-1800s, and the other on popular songs for piano and voice from 1899 to 1902 […]
The collection consists of business correspondence, plantation records, slave lists, military documents, accounting records, legal documents and Civil War letters of the Heyward and Ferguson families of the Combahee, Savannah, and Cooper Rivers in the Low Country near Charleston, South Carolina. The letters date between 1806 and 1923, but the bulk of the correspondence is […]
Various monographs and photographs from the Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation. The focus of the collection items is primarily Charleston historic buildings, streets, landmarks, and sites. The collection also includes publications related to tourism in Charleston (1879-1948), the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, and the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition of 1901-1902.
The Historical Commission of South Carolina pamphlet collection is comprised of 45 artificially bound volumes of separately published South Carolina imprints from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Topics covered include: agriculture, Civil War regimental histories, education and schools, geology, industry, medicine, Native American tribes, nature, nullification, the Revolutionary War, the Reconstruction Era (1865-1877), and […]
These forty South Carolina soil survey maps from the early Nineteen Hundreds were prepared with booklets to explain the soil classifications on the county level. They include information that do not appear on updated survey maps, such as old rail lines, schools, churches and other structures as well as entire towns that no longer exist.
This scrapbook, compiled by James H. Holloway (1849-1913), contains legal documents, personal and business correspondence, receipts, ephemera, clippings and photographs pertaining to the Holloway family, a prominent free family of color in Charleston, SC. Legal documents include deeds (1806, 1821, 1871), a conveyance (1811), slave bills of sale including one for the slave “Betty” (1829), […]
This collection includes indexes and finding aids for historical and genealogical information pertaining to Columbia, Richland County, and the Midlands. In addition, Local History staff maintain a guide to relevant subject indexes and finding aids available both from Richland Library as well as from other institutions focusing on local history and genealogy in the area. […]
The Irish Volunteers, organized in Charleston, South Carolina about 1798, included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. Originally part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers Company was first on active service in the War of 1812 where they served on patrol and constructed defenses. […]
One of the major collecting areas of Rare Books and Special Collections at the University of South Carolina is the literature of the First World War. A particularly notable part of that collection, included here, are the works of Isaac Rosenberg published during his lifetime: Night and Day, Youth, and Moses. Rosenberg, recognized as the […]
The Joel Myerson Collection of Nineteenth-Century American Manuscripts, Images, and Ephemera is a part of the larger Joel Myerson Collection of Nineteenth-Century American Literature. The collection contains letters, manuscripts, cabinet cards, cartes de visite, and a variety of other ephemeral material relating to nineteenth-century American authors, especially those associated with the Transcendentalist movement. The bulk […]
The series of photograph albums document the time that John Shaw Billings (1898-1975) and his extended family spent at the Redcliffe plantation in Aiken County, South Carolina. Known for his position as the first managing editor of Life Magazine, Billings purchased Redcliffe in 1935 from his uncle Henry Cumming Hammond (1868-1961) for $15,000. Even before […]
The Kaminski-Prevost Collection features three scrapbooks from the Kaminski family and featuring scenes from Georgetown, Pawleys Island, The Citadel, and other South Carolina locations. Many of the photos feature Edwin Washington Kaminski (1868-1948), son of Georgetown businessman, Heiman Kaminski (1839-1923).
These lantern slides were produced for classroom use by the highly successful Education Department of the Keystone View Company. The slides cover a wide range of subject matter including scenes of industry, places of architectural or historical significance and places of natural beauty.
In 1912, a group of wealthy businessmen from Wilmington, Delaware, formed the Kinloch Gun Club on the North Santee river. They purchased 14 tracts of land and used the former rice fields for duck hunting, built a new clubhouse and employed many of the local men and women as hunting guides and housekeepers. By the […]
Léon Bakst (1866-1924) was a Russian portraitist and designer who spent much of his career in Paris. This book reflects his extraordinary collaborative work with Sergei Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes as well as the dancers Ida Rubinstein and Vaslav Nijinsky. The costumes and set designs in the book demonstrate his modern yet exotic aesthetic […]
The Lincoln Farm Association Member Cards is a collection of over 140,000 individual and organization names who donated to build the memorial at the farmstead of Abraham Lincoln’s birthplace, which later came to be the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park. In 1905, the farmstead where Lincoln was born, just outside of Hodgenville, Kentucky, was […]
This collection includes an illustrated pamphlet that gives a brief history of the Dock Street Theatre in Charleston, South Carolina and provides rich physical details about the building, including photographs, floor plans and cross sections. Another pamphlet highlights some of Charleston’s well known attractions.
This collection consists of parish registers, with records of baptisms, marriages, burials, and communions, in addition to lists of members, pastors, and church officers. The originals, most of which reside at the individual churches, were microfilmed and now digitized to extend easier access to these valuable records. Currently, only records from Lexington County are available. We […]
The papers of the Malloy family of Cheraw, South Carolina, chiefly comprise wartime letters from George Archibald Malloy (1843–1923), who served with the Confederate Army in the Ashley Dragoons, Company H, 3rd S.C. Cavalry. George’s letters record the tedium of camp life amid reports of troop movements, rumors about Union and Confederate officers, and travel notes. […]
This book describes the history of Bamberg, South Carolina, with maps, photographs, and text regarding the antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction eras; more specific chapters discuss the buildings, businesses, schools, churches, occupations and people of the 1890s. Genealogical charts and other information document the Copeland and various other families of Bamberg County, South Carolina, through […]
Jules Massenet (1842-1912) was a prolific French composer credited with completing 40 operas and numerous other stage works, most notably ballets and oratorios. While his composition style largely conformed to the conventions of his day, some of his more unusual operatic forms include genres such as: miracle, comedie chantee, episode lirique and saynete. Works included in this […]
The Mayer family photograph collection was donated to Richland Library by Julian Hennig (1922 – 2006). Mr. Hennig was a lifelong friend of Monroe Mayer, Jr. who died in Columbia in 1987. From 1908 until 1957, the Mayer family lived at 1824 Pendleton Street in Columbia, S.C. The Mayer family included Monroe Mayer Sr. (1872 […]
The Mayors of Columbia collection consists of portraits of the mayors and intendants of Columbia from John Taylor, the first intendant in 1806 to Bob Coble, mayor from 1990-2010. The original portraits are on display in the Columbia City Hall at 1737 Main Street. Portraits of some former mayors are not included in this collection. […]
The Medical Society of South Carolina Digital Collections includes the minutes of the Society for the years 1789-1986, as well as portraits of past presidents. Minutes for the years 1789-1924 are handwritten; 1925-1986 are typed. Minutes through 1945 are in bound volumes; 1946-1986 are loose-leaf. The bound volumes are presented here as complete volumes, while […]
The historical minutes of Columbia’s City Council, spanning January 1883 to December 1907. Through the efforts of volunteers at Richland Library’s Walker Local History Center the handwritten entries are in the process of being transcribed to allow for full-text searching. Please check back frequently as we are constantly adding to this collection.
This digital collection from the USC’s South Caroliniana Library comprises nearly 400 volumes of Minutes of the Annual Conferences of the Baptist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches in South Carolina between 1785 and 1920. This collection will enable researchers to examine the activities of the Baptist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches in South […]
This collection includes correspondence, certificates, photographs, and other materials related to Miriam DeCosta Seabrook’s education at Avery Institute and elsewhere, teaching career, and civic involvement; correspondence, speeches, and reports related to Dr. Herbert Seabrook, Sr.’s community and fraternal affiliations and to his medical career as a private practitioner and director of the Hospital and Training […]
The Morgan-Trenholm Collection combines the collections of William D. Morgan (1853-1938) and Alfred Glover Trenholm (1874-1952). The photographs document life in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the photographs in the collection come from local photographers, including D.C. Simpkins, W.P. Dowling, James H. Winburn and William A. Reckling. Alfred […]
The Muriel and Marcus Zbar Collection was donated by Dr. Marcus J. Zbar, a 1951 graduate of Vanderbilt University. The collection consists of artifacts originating in West and Central Africa and Papua New Guinea that Dr. Zbar privately purchased from various galleries across the United States.
The MUSC Anatomy Class and Dissection Room Photos is a collection primarily comprised of photographs depicting the Medical University of South Carolina students and their professors at work over cadavers in the dissection room. Also in the collection, photographs of the professors of the Anatomy Department at the Medical University of South Carolina and students […]
In 1864, a 22-year-old seminary graduate named William Plumer Jacobs arrived in the small town of Clinton to become pastor of the Clinton Presbyterian Church (now the First Presbyterian Church, Clinton). Before his death in 1917, he was to transform the town. Wishing to make Clinton the Presbyterian center of the South, he was instrumental […]
This collection from the South Caroliniana Library consists primarily of the Civil War letters of Edward Laight Wells, discussing the mood in Charleston during the secession crisis in 1860, fighting with the Hampton’s Legion 1864-1865, and the immediate aftermath of the war. Other letters are from Eliza Carolina Middleton Huger Smith discussing the health and […]
The Pawleys Island Civic Association Collection features many of the historic photographs from Pawleys Island: A Century of History and Photographs. First settled by rice planters who looked for an escape from the deadly malaria that plagued the inland areas, the island continues to bring in both returning vacationers as well as first-timers who long to […]
Philip Simmons (1912-2009) was an African American blacksmith and artisan specializing in the craft of ironwork in Charleston, South Carolina. Simmons spent seventy-seven years crafting utilitarian and ornamental ironwork. His work is recognized within the state of South Carolina, nationally, and internationally. This collection, donated by the Philip Simmons Foundation, holds personal papers with photographs […]
This collection of 548 photographs comes from two albums of family photographs created by Conrad Munro Donner (1844 – 1916), a peripatetic engineer from the Hamburg-Altona area near the border between Denmark and Germany who had an active interest in photography. Self-taught, the bulk of his images reflect his experience of Low Country rural life […]
Pierrine Smith Byrd was one of the first 13 women to enroll in the College of Charleston in 1918, and was the first to graduate, in 1922. She was a longtime resident of Greenwood, S.C., and an accredited judge for the American Rose Society. The collection contains memorabilia from her high school and college days, […]
Charles Crosland (1845-1918), who served in the 19th South Carolina Cavalry Battalion, with Company H of the Confederate Army’s Hampton Legion, recounts his combat experiences, his father’s death, and the destruction of the Crosland family plantation in Bennetsville. He also references the sinking of the USS Housatonic by the Confederate submarine, the H.L. Hunley. Lula […]
The Richard Furman and James C. Furman collection contains over 750 letters and 18 sermons of Richard Furman (1755-1825), the namesake of Furman University and his son, James Clement Furman (1809-1891), the University’s first president who served from 1859-1879. Richard Furman Items Browse letters Browse sermons James Clement Furman Items Browse letters Browse sermons
In 2011 Robert B. Ariail donated an extraordinary collection of historical astronomy to the University of South Carolina and the South Carolina State Museum. Over the past half-century, Mr. Ariail built a collection that encompassed both historic telescopes and astronomical instruments, now at the State Museum, and more than 5,000 rare books and other published […]
The Rosenwald Schools of South Carolina exhibit features as its center the forty-three oral history interviews forming the Tom Crosby Oral History Collection that describe the educational experiences of African Americans in South Carolina 1910s-1970s, most of whom attended Rosenwald schools and/or Allen University.
The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.
The Samuel Hudson Photograph Collection features photographs from the Hudson family. Samuel Hudson (1921-2006), a native of Georgetown County, was the son of Melvin and Wilhelmina Hudson. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps during WWII and returned to Georgetown to operate several prosperous businesses including Hudson’s Real Estate Agency. He served as the director […]
Samuel Lander, Jr. was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina, of Irish parents who had immigrated to America in 1818. He devoted his life to education and the ministry. He graduated as valedictorian from Randolph-Macon College (then in Boydton, VA) in 1852. For a short time he practiced civil engineering and studied law. In December of […]
Samuel Hyde was a photographer and amateur historian who lived in Charleston and in Summerville, S.C. He was the “chief cemetery investigator” for the South Carolina Public Service Authority during the creation of Lake Moultrie. This collection contains 2 groups of his photographs – 25 prints from the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition […]
Originally conceived in the late 18th Century, fire insurance maps provided structural and urban environmental information necessary for insurance underwriters. Founded in 1867 in the United States, the Sanborn National Insurance Diagram Bureau systematically produced ascetically appealing, but also efficient, maps nationwide. This New York firm expanded and grew immensely, finally emerging as the Sanborn […]
The University of South Carolina libraries have been acquiring works by Scottish authors since the early nineteenth century. With the addition of the extensive G. Ross Roy Collection in 1989, South Carolina now has major research holdings across a wide range of Scottish writing. Indeed, in the words of one recent visitor, it is “the […]
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Henry Willis, Jr., son of Robert Henry and Jessie Willis, was born in Williston, South Carolina in 1886. He was the first honor graduate of the Citadel in 1908. Henry Willis became interested in aviation in 1912 and learned to fly in San Diego, California. In December 1913 he received a Military […]
This scrapbook contains images, newspaper clippings, and correspondence from the life of Septima P. Clark, a Charleston educator and civil rights activist. Septima Poinsette Clark was born in Charleston, S.C. on 3 May 1898, the daughter of Peter Poinsette, who grew up a slave on the plantation of Joel Roberts Poinsett (with conflicting data saying […]
Selected sheet music from the the Furman Special Collections and Archives and the Maxwell Music Library. Most of the items are specific to South Carolina. Items date from the 1900s – 1940s and include Carolina Lullaby, Carolina in the Morning, I Love You Truly and other popular tunes.
The Shuford Family Collection includes photographs of Shuford, his wife, Edna Butler Shuford, and his children. Robert Pou Shuford (1880-1941), served as Georgetown City Recorder, Police Chief, County Treasurer and owner of “Shuford’s Store” in Georgetown, SC. After his death, his widow, Edna, was appointed by the Governor of South Carolina to fill his position […]
Although the Spanish-American War was of short duration, South Carolina found itself involved through the raising of volunteer regiments and hosting of military camps. Soldiers at Camp Fornance in Columbia, S.C. saw service in Cuba and in the Philippines, and the camp became headquarters for the Third Brigade of Second Division of the Second Army […]
The South Carolina State Library maintains an extensive print collection of materials published about South Carolina. The South Carolina Book Collection provides access to digitized copies of selected books in the public domain, including the Annual Reports of the Charleston Orphan House, Annual Reports of the Audubon Society of South Carolina, and published political speeches.
The South Carolina State Documents Depository Program sponsored by the South Carolina State Library provides access to publications produced by state agencies and state-supported academic institutions. These publications provide citizens with crucial information about state government, including statistics, annual accountability reports, and data on a wide variety of topics related to the state. Items in […]
The South Carolina Historical Cookbooks collection consists of publications from 1832 to 1921. Many of these “receipt” books provide insight into 19th-century and early 20th-century South Carolina foodways. Geographically, the collection covers many parts of the state, including Kingstree (Kingstree Cook Book 1921), Spartanburg (Spartanburg Cook Book 1917), Sumter (Best War Recipes 1917), and, of […]
The map collection of the South Caroliniana Library has always been a significant resource for geographers, historians, and genealogists. In the past two hundred years, technological changes have substantially altered the landscape of South Carolina, and the library’s map collection visually documents these transformations. The maps show airports, battlefields, cemeteries, churches, cities, highways, Native American […]
This collection of photographs from the early twentieth century shows life on two South Santee River plantations: Hampton and the Wedge. Hampton Plantation was owned by the Rutledge family, including Archibald Rutledge, Poet Laureate of South Carolina. The Wedge plantation was built by William Lucas in 1826, and remained in the Lucas family until 1929. […]
This collection includes A Story of Spartan Push: The Greatest Cotton Manufacturing Centre in the South: Spartanburg, South Carolina, and Its Resources by Edward P. McKissick and Spartanburg, City and County, South Carolina: Their Wonderful Attractions and Marvelous Advantages as a Place of Settlement, and for the Profitable Investment of Capital by the Spartanburg Board […]
This comprehensive set of Columbia area images includes 146 prints from periods ranging from 1865 to 1980. The collection was amassed from various long time photographers in the community such as John A. Sargeant, Charles Old and Walter Blanchard. They operated studios in the city from the period c. 1915 through 1960. The images include […]
The Tarbox Family Collection features images of Georgetown County in the early 1900s. The photos, taken by Frank G. Tarbox (1856-1940), include images of the Tarbox family and their travels throughout the United States, of Willowbank Plantation, and the first first airplane flight in Georgetown in July 1911.
The official publication of the Association of Colored Physicians of South Carolina, the Hospital Herald was published from 1899-1900. Edited by A.C. McClennan, MD, surgeon in charge of the Colored Hospital and Training School for Nurses, the Hospital Herald was a monthly journal “devoted to hospital work, nurse training, domestic and public hygiene.”
The photos in this collection were taken as part of a season pass that patrons could purchase for unlimited admission to the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition, held in Charleston in 1901 and 1902. Each individual’s photo was mounted in a passbook kept by the patron and a duplicate photo was mounted in […]
The Tiger is the student-run newspaper for Clemson University and its community. First produced on January 21, 1907, it is the oldest collegiate newspaper in the state of South Carolina. The weekly, national award-winning publication is distributed every Tuesday and Thursday on and off campus with a circulation of approximately 12,000.
The Thomas Family and Muller Family papers along with related personal collections housed at the South Caroliniana Library at the University of South Carolina total approximately 32 linear feet. There are an additional 219 volumes of business ledgers from the Sandy Run Store and Thomas Store (Ridgeway, S.C.). All of these materials span 1702 through […]
Measuring 14 ½ x 20 inches the Polyconic Projections were first published in the late 19th Century. Some were produced by the Army, others by the Corps. of Engineers and the remainder were produced by the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The scale is 1:62500. The contour intervals vary. Measurements are shown in miles, feet […]
This collection contains five maps of the Waccamaw River in Horry County, S.C. from Conway to Bull Creek dated November 1903. The surveys were performed under the direction of Captain G. P. Howell, Corps of Engineers U.S.A. and Reid Whitford, U.S. Assistant Engineer. The surveyor was William H. Johnstone. These five maps show the soundings […]
This printed ledger book listing the members of Post 7, South Carolina Department of the United Spanish War Veterans. Information recorded in the ledger includes dates and places of birth, dates of service, home addresses and the names of closest relatives. This ledger is held by the Greenville County Library System’s South Carolina Room.
These student examinations date largely from the second half of the 19th century, a period in which the University of South Carolina underwent significant changes not only in its curriculum but also in its student body, its faculty and its educational goals. The exams in this collection that date prior to 1873 reflect the South […]
Vera Nathans Semel Papers consist of photographs of family members before and after World War II and Paerl family papers. Paerl papers contain birth certificates, a synagogue certificate, marriage certificates, a militia certificate, and a false identification card.
This digital collection brings together photographs of Columbia, S.C. from many different collections in the South Caroliniana Library. Dating from the 1880s through the 20th century, these photographs provide a visual record of the changes seen in the city. This collection will continue to grow and is not exhaustive of all of the Columbia images […]
Historically known as “The Walter Pantovic Slavery Collection,” these artifacts span the African American experience from slavery to the Civil Rights era to the rise of African Americans in popular culture. Walter Pantovic was born in Yugoslavia in 1965 and immigrated to the United States at the age of two. He became interested in African-American […]
Selected items from The Ware Family Collection housed in the Furman University Special Collections and Archives. The materials primarily represent Thomas Edwin Ware’s business interests in the 19th century. The collection includes land grants, deeds, receipts, estate documents, slave documents, and letters.
The Wilkinson-Keith Family Papers consist of correspondence and other documents among the Wilkinson, Keith, Siegling, Haskell, and Marshall families and their friends dating from 1785 to 1920. The bulk of the correspondence dates from 1820 to 1890, a large portion of which chronicles Willis Keith’s experiences as a Confederate soldier in 1862-1863. Antebellum correspondence discusses […]
William Bacon (1873-1908) was the son of John Henry Bacon (1835-1884) and Virginia Ellen Handy Humphreys (1848-1905). His siblings included John, Lulo (Parsons), Minnie (Twilley), Agnes (Johnson) and Elmer. He moved to California to work for the Pinkerton Detective Agency. His scrapbook features early 20th century images of California including the cities of Los Angeles, […]
This collection of one hundred fifty-three manuscripts begins in 1858 when Rutherford was courting Sallie Fair, the daughter of Simeon Fair, of Newberry, S.C. The courtship of William (“Drate”) Rutherford and Sallie Fair was interrupted in 1861 by secession and war.
William Henry Jackson, in partnership with the Detroit Photographic Company, took black and white photographs that were reproduced into color photochroms for sale as postcards or prints. The majority of the images in this collection are landscapes of Colorado, Montana and New York State, particularly in Yellowstone National Park and the Adirondack region. Some images […]
The postcard collection was started by Bill and Judy Lynch over 30 years ago. Both daughter, Tracie and granddaughter, Halie have been active participants as well. The collection is being shared with the Spartanburg County Public Libraries, to allow anyone with an interest in Spartanburg’s history access to these postcard images. In its entirety the […]
William Lynch assembled an impressive collection of stereoviews, or stereoscopic photographs. These are card-mounted photographs that render a three-dimensional image when placed in a specialized viewer. In the digital collection presented here, the front and reverse of each stereoview are shown. Also included is a 3-D anaglyph that allows users with 3-D glasses (with red […]
Pencil sketches and watercolors by Charleston-born architect William Martin Aiken. Includes images of grand houses (exterior and interior) with architectural details, gates and doors, churches and museums, sailing vessels and flora along the east coast of the United States and Europe.
The William McCarthy and Martin Barbeau Collection is comprised of artifacts from various origin. The objects are primarily decorative currency, such as bracelets and anklets. Places of origin include Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), Nigeria, Togo, Zambia, Niger, Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, and Ghana.
Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman’s College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school’s name was changed to the Woman’s College of Due West. There was the […]
This collection features historic yearbooks from local schools in the Columbia area. Most yearbooks were generously donated by members of the community. Help us grow this collection! If you have any yearbooks to donate, please contact the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library, 1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, S.C., or (803) 929-3402. Check […]