Browse All Collections

George Chicken Journal, 1715-1716

The journal of George Chicken (1685-1727) was written during the Yamasee War and documents a march across South Carolina to various Cherokee settlements as well as treaty negotiations for peace and alliances against the Creek tribes from January 1715 to February 1716. The journal also includes the correspondence of James Alford and Captain James Woodward. …


Quick Access:

George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection

This collection of glass plate negatives of Charleston and Summerville was made by George LaGrange Cook in the 1880s and early 1890s. The son of the famous Civil War photographer, George Smith Cook, LaGrange learned the art of photography from his father. He lived in Charleston and then Summerville before leaving around 1892 to join …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

George Pope Collection

The George Pope collection contains Nigerian artifacts acquired while Mr. Pope, former U.S. State Department employee, was stationed in the country. Nike Olaniyi [Okundaye] Davies (1951- ) is an internationally known artist and textile designer from Nigeria. She founded and runs the Nike Center for Art and Culture in Oshogbo [Osogbo], Nigeria, which offers art …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

George W. Johnson Photographs

George W. Johnson took photographs of Charleston buildings and people at the turn of the 20th century. His collection also includes a number of photographs of the 1901-1902 South Carolina Inter-state and West Indian Exhibition.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

George W. Williams Photograph Collection

This collection consists of 95 photographs and negatives taken around the Charleston area. The images depict early 20th century rooftop views of the city, parks, Charleston Fire Department firefighters and their equipment, Charleston Harbor, the construction of Dry Dock One at the Navy Yard, and a late 20th century reconstruction of Fort Sullivan that was …


Quick Access:

Georgetown County Hurricane Collection

The Georgetown County Hurricane Collection exhibits photographs that record the many hurricanes that have impacted coastal South Carolina. Hurricane Hazel (1954) and Hurricane Hugo (1989) were two of the most powerful storms that impacted South Carolina. These photographs document the devastation and the impact of these two hurricanes that will never be forgotten by the …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Georgetown County Library Photograph Collection

The Georgetown County Library Photograph Collection is compiled of photographs of individuals who lived in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th century. Names such as LaBruce, Ehrich, Sampson, Ward, and Gasque make up this unique collection of photographs that have been donated to the Georgetown County Library


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Georgetown County Museum Collection

The Georgetown County Museum Collection exhibits photographs from families, plantations and other images from Georgetown County locals. The black and white images offer a rare glimpse in the lifestyle of Georgetown County in the first half of the twentieth century. Photos come from the Butler, Brightman and Harriet Morgan families, Caledonia Plantation, Lark Hill Plantation …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Georgetown County Newspapers-19th Century

Georgetown County Historical Newspapers Collection consists of newspapers dating from the early 1800s to 1899 from the Winyah Observer, the Pee Dee Times, the True Republican, the South Carolinian, the Winyah Intelligencer, the Georgetown American and the Georgetown Union.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Georgetown County Newspapers-20th Century

The 20th Century Newspaper Collection spans from 1902-1999. Titles include: The Georgetown Daily Item (1907-1912), The Sunday Outlook (1902-1912), The Carolina Field (1905), The Georgetown Times (1905-1999), The Andrews News (1949) and The Daily Item (1912).


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Georgetown Postcard Collection

The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Gertrude Sanford Legendre Papers, 1836-2000

Gertrude Sanford Legendre (1902–2000) was an American socialite who served as an OSS operative during World War II. She was also a noted explorer, big-game hunter, environmentalist, and owner of Medway plantation in South Carolina. The collection includes scrapbooks of Gertrude’s travels and family life, loose photographs ranging in date from the mid to late …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Glendia Cooper Collection

Glendia Cooper, African American potter, grew up in Mississsippi and has exhibited her work in various cities across the United States. Her pieces, inspired by travel in Africa and South America, are created using the coil and slab methods, then shaping, molding, decorating and glazing by hand.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Glenn Drayton journal, 1814-1864

Glenn Drayton’s journal is a bound volume consisting of Drayton’s rules of conduct expected of a U.S. sailor, 1814; and records, 1814-1864, of Rusticello plantation, Pendleton District, S.C., continued after Drayton’s death. Drayton’s entries consist of hand-written guide, 1814, showing the hold stocked with barrels, and dimensions of the ship; and an original water color, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Glimpses of the South Carolina, Interstate and West Indian Exposition

Souvenir booklet entitled Glimpses of the South Carolina, Interstate and West Indian Exposition Including Some Characteristic Views of the City of Charleston and Scenes at the Pan-American Exposition Recently Held at Buffalo: 126 Half-tone Pictures and a Map of the Grounds. Booklet contains captioned photographs, including some with descriptive text. Measures 13 x 18 cm.


Quick Access:

Goldberg Family Papers, 1902-1953

Two memorial photograph albums documenting the funeral of Moshe Yidel Gelbart. Gelbart died of appendicitis on February 25, 1935, in Mogielnica, Poland. The albums, made of fabric and paper, contain black and white photographs that chronicle Gelbart’s funeral procession, his casket, mourners, and gravesite, including an image of Gelbart with his wife and son eight …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Good Hope Plantation Journal, 1835-1874 (bulk 1835-1857)

The Good Hope Plantation Journal, 1835-1874 (bulk 1835-1857) collection is comprised of a bound volume and loose papers pertaining to Good Hope Plantation located in St. Matthew’s Parish, South Carolina. The 3,925-acre planation was inherited by Joseph Heatley Dulles from his aunt Anne Heatley Reid Lovell following her death in 1834. The volume (1859-1860) contains …


Quick Access:

Goodwill

Collection of enclosed loading dock construction at the now demolished Goodwill at 912 Poinsett Highway.


Quick Access:

Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection

The Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection features photographs of gross pathology specimens from the Museum’s holdings. The photograph collection is the result of a collaboration between the Waring Historical Library and MUSC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (DPLM) to preserve, document, and make the wet specimen collection more accessible. Dr. Erin Presnell of …


Quick Access:
View in Discovery

Government Information Pamphlet Collection

Government departments’, divisions’, agencies’ and programs’ pamphlets from the 1930s to the late 1960s.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Green Avenue Neighborhood

Photographs of the Green Avenue neighborhood, which encompasses Jenkins, Casey, Lincoln, Nelson, and McLeod Streets, plus part of Anderson Road. Traditionally an African American neighborhood, the city of Greenville has been revitalizing the area since 2001 including the demolition and construction of homes, building new parks, and streetscape work. Original photographs from the Green Avenue …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville Army Air Base

Photographs of the Greenville Army Air Base.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville Chamber of Commerce

Collection of photographs of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce. Email scroominfo@greenvillelibrary.org if you are able to identify photographs.


Quick Access:

Greenville City Codes & Ordinances

Typed and bound ordinances, laws, and charter for the City of Greenville. Includes names of city government officials, committees, and aldermen.


Quick Access:

Greenville Civic and Commercial Journal

The Greenville Civic and Commercial Journal (later the Greenville Journal) was a publication of Greenville’s Chamber of Commerce. In addition to articles showcasing local businesses and the activities of Chamber committees, the magazine included stories about the history of Greenville and biographies of local individuals as well as photographs of buildings of note in Greenville. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville Country Club

Photographs of the Greenville Country Club. Building demolished September 2015.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Coroner Reports

Greenville County coroner reports from February 1894 to December 1896 during the service of coroner James Sullivan Meeks. Each report includes jury summons, testimonies, post-mortem examinations, and verdicts. This volume is from the private collection of Scott Stephens of Greenville.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Government Services

Photograph collection of government services in Greenville County.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – 85th Anniversary

Collection of photographs from the 85th Anniversary of the library celebrated with cake, music, and patrons in October 2003.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Anderson Road

The bookmobile served the westside regularly until 1975 when the West Branch opened in a storefront at the corner of Easley Bridge Rd. and West Washington Ave. The current Anderson Road branch opened October 2003.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Augusta Road

In 1932, the WPA built “So Big” on a vacant lot on Augusta Road. After the diminutive building, the bookmobile served the area until 1975 when the library rented a storefront next to Pickwick Pharmacy. In 2004 the Ramsey Family Branch Library replaced the rented space.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Berea

The Greenville County Library opened the Berea branch in 1971 in a store front on Cedar Lane Road. It soon began circulating more book than any other branch and soon needed more space. The branch later moved to Highway 25 Bypass and opened April 1998.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Bookmobiles

In 1923, the Greenville Public Library converted a Ford truck into a “Library Truck.” It began service to the textile mill communities in the Parker District in September of that year. The second bookmobile was built on a Dodge chassis and began serving rural areas in December 1924. After 90 years, the Greenville County Library …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – COVID-19 Pandemic

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Greenville County Library System modified procedures and protocols.


Quick Access:

Greenville County Library System – Five Forks Branch

Photographs of the Five Forks branch from groundbreaking (2016) to opening day (2018). The Five Forks Branch Library is approximately 28,000 square feet–nearly the twice the size of the other branches in the library system


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – Fountain Inn Branch

Photographs of Fountain Inn library branch over the years. The first library in Fountain Inn was founded by the Village Improvement Society, but it unfortunately burned down in 1920. In 1926, the Greenville County Library System established a branch in Fountain Inn and it was located in storefronts for 40 years. In 1965, the town …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – Greer Branch

Founded in the fall of 1925, the Greer Library was the first Library branch in the county. In 1938, it also became the first to erect its own building, the Davenport Memorial Library on School Street. Its downstairs meeting room provided a place for local clubs to meet, including the USO during World War II. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – Main

Greenville’s library opened in 1921 under the leadership of Thomas F. Parker in a storage room on E. Coffee St. Over the years the Main library has been housed in the Jervey Jordan building, old Park School building, College Street building, and, in 2002, moved to its current location.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Mauldin

In 1961, citizens persuaded the Library to stock books in two unused rooms of Mauldin town hall. A visit to this little collection from Arthur Magill resulted in the gift of a building, which opened in 1962. The branch moved to the new W. Jack Greer Library in August 29, 1999.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Simpsonville

The Simpsonville branch opened in 1926 located in the front part of a furniture store on South Main Street. In 1940 the library moved into a building funded by the WPA, which was later remodeled. In 1997, the current Hendricks branch opened to the public.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Taylors Branch

Collection of photographs from the SC Room Archives of the Taylors library branch. The Taylors Branch of the Greenville County Library was founded on November 20, 1973. In the 1920s the Bookmobile had been begun stopping every other week in Taylors at the First Baptist Church, but eventually the growth of the community warranted its …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Library System – Travelers Rest

Beginning in 1927 the bookmobile began visiting Travelers Rest each week, but by 1961 more was needed so a branch opened on the second floor of the Saving & Loan building on Main Street. In 1971, the library moved to a larger storefront until September 1996 when the new Sargent Branch opened on Center Street.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Greenville County Library System – Pelham Branch

Collection of photographs from the SC Room Archives of the Pelham Road (Eastside) branch. When the Vaughn’s At East North Street shopping center opened in the fall of 1978, the library leased 5,000 square feet of space for a new eastside branch. It immediately became the branch with the highest book circulation, placed as it …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville County Oral Histories

Interviews with residents of Greenville County and Upstate South Carolina.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville Entertainment

Collection of photographs from the Greenville entertainment scene.


Quick Access:

Greenville History and Genealogy eBooks

Collection of eBooks related to local history and genealogy.


Quick Access:

Greenville Mental Health Child and Adolescent Center

Collection of photographs of the Greenville Mental Health Child and Adolescent Center under construction. It is located behind Greenville Memorial Hospital off of Grove Road.


Quick Access:

Greenville Piedmont

Collection of the Greenville Piedmont newspaper. This afternoon paper was published until 1995.


Quick Access:

Greenville Promotional Materials

Greenville, SC has marketed itself a variety of ways over the years to attract new residents and businesses. These promotional pamphlets include photographs, demographic data, and information on local businesses, institutions, and organizations.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Greenville’s Jewish Community

A collection of photographs from private collections, digitized by the Greenville County Library System.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery