Atheneum, the Coastal Carolina University yearbook, was published from 1969 to 1997. The yearbooks allow us to trace change in the culture and attitudes of students on the CCU campus throughout the years. The 1969 yearbook is considered to be the first volume because previous editions were included as part of Garnet and Black, the University […]
The first totally county-funded school in Berkeley County was established in 1912 in Moncks Corner. Students of all ages attended. By 1928, the number of students had dramatically increased. A separate high school was needed. Construction began on a two-story brick building with twelve classrooms, a library, and an office. Berkeley High School was student-ready […]
A descendent of French Huguenot, Isaac Mazyck, who settled in South Carolina in 1686, Mary Louisa Palmer (daughter of Henry Milner Palmer and Julia Palmer) was born near Eutawville, South Carolina on August 2, 1874. It is unknown where Miss Palmer attended school. Her grandson, Keith Gourdin of Pineville, S. C. has the copy book in his collection. […]
The Bobbin and Beaker was an official student publication of the Clemson School of Industrial Management and Textile Science. Organized in November 1939 by Iota Chapter of Phi Psi Fraternity for the Clemson Textile School, the first issue of this semiannual publication arrived in March 1940 for the students, textile school graduates, and the textile […]
The Spartanburg Regional Campus, opened in the fall of 1967, did not produce their own separate yearbook until 1969. In 1968, they were included in the Regional Campus Edition of the Garnet and Black, with a ten-page layout. Beginning in 1969, the Carolana yearbook was produced every year through 1982 at which time publication was […]
The Carolina Student’s Handbook offers a glimpse of the campus culture at the University of South Carolina from the 1920s through the 1940s. Published annually by the University’s YMCA and YWCA chapters, it was primarily aimed at freshman, and included information on the honor code, campus traditions, songs, organizations, athletics, and more. The handbook also […]
Established at USC Spartanburg in October 1998, the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies (CWGS) is housed in the College of Arts and Sciences and serves students, faculty, staff and community members through curricular and co-curricular programming. As part of the USC Upstate commitment to recognizing and supporting diversity efforts on campus, the Center for […]
After an election in Pickens County from a new school act, the voters decided in February 1908 that a new Central High School should be built. Shortly thereafter, work was begun on this new high school building on Church Street, a modern brick structure with six large classrooms, a large auditorium and space in the […]
In the first part of the 20th century, Greenville South Carolina was home to two colleges for women, Chicora College and the Greenville Woman’s College. This collection of materials includes yearbooks dating from 1901 to 1914 for Chicora College, which provides insights into both the everyday life and the academic world of young women of that […]
The Clariosophic Literary Society was one of two original student organizations established at South Carolina College in 1806. The Clariosophic and Euphradian Literary Societies sought to prepare their members for future leadership roles by strengthening their oratorical skills. This collection comes from USC’s South Caroliniana Library and comprises 132 volumes of society records, spanning the […]
The Clemson College Class of 1939 is a unique class. After graduation, not only did almost all of its members serve in World War II (with 26 making the ultimate sacrifice), but they also made a series of commitments to the University at their 50th Golden Anniversary Reunion in 1989 that have both served to […]
Minutes and reports of Clemson University’s Board of Trustees from 1888 to the present. Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees […]
Items in this collection represent annual reports for the extension state and county offices, as well as separate reports for the African American extension agents. Started in 1907 with Dr. Seaman Knapp, an agriculturist and special agent for the USDA, the program was intended to be farm demonstrations to instruct farmers on proper farming techniques. […]
Clemson University Photographs (Series 100) spans from 1893-2008 and contains photographs, negatives, slides, postcards, and other media documenting the history and development of Clemson University. Most of the images originated from the Clemson News Bureau, News Services, Clemson University Communications Center, and Publications and Promotion (commonly known as the Photo Lab) with some donated by […]
The Clemson annual yearbooks have been a tradition since 1899, when the first issue was published as the Clemson College Chronicle. Since 1899, the yearbook has had several names: Clemson College Chronicle (1899-1900) The Clemsonian (1901) Clemson College Chronicle (1902) The Oconeean (1903-1904) The Chronicle (1905) Clemson College Annual (1906-1907 )In 1908, Taps became the […]
The physical collection consists of more than 11,000 positive and negative images produced by the Cooperative Extension Service and South Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station from the 1920s until the 1970s. A few images made before 1930 were not produced by the Service but were acquired and maintained with the collection. Many of the images appeared […]
The collection contains photographs of the College of Charleston campus through out the years. Photographs include the exteriors and interiors of buildings on the grounds. Also included in the collection are photographs chronicalling the construction of campus structures.
This collection contains selected materials that hold historical and cultural significance to the African American community and represent its longtime presence at Clemson University. Resources included in the collection are from the University Archives that span from 1828 to the present day. These include photographs, manuscripts and records from multiple collections related to: Harvey Gantt, […]
These digital collections include diplomas, literary society membership certificates, class rings, and jewelry. Columbia College was founded in 1854 in Columbia, SC, by the United Methodist Church as a liberal arts college for women. Columbia College currently offers evening, graduate, and online programs serving both women and men in addition to the Women’s College. Established […]
This report is submitted in response to Section 402 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964: SEC. 402. The Commissioner shall conduct a survey and make a report to the President and the Congress, within two years of the enactment of this title, concerning the lack of availability of equal educational opportunities for individuals by […]
Erskine College and Theological Seminary is a private four-year liberal arts college and graduate theological seminary founded in 1837 (Seminary) and 1839 (College) and located in Due West, SC. The institution is affiliated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The McCain Library Department of Archives and Special Collections serves to preserve and provide access to […]
Stories of desegregation often focus on the urban schools that were in the spotlight thanks to their media coverage or the conflicts surrounding them, from Little Rock to Boston. Much less attention is paid to schools in rural communities, outside the media glare. In addition, the period before integration is often neglected, or discussed solely […]
The collection contains seven million feet of nitrate motion picture film and four million feet of safety motion picture film documenting the national and global politics and culture from 1919 through 1934 and from September 1942 through August 1944. Paper holdings provide detailed notes generated by original camera crews as well as ephemera related to […]
The university archives of Francis Marion University are housed in the James A. Rogers Library. These digital collections begin with the college yearbooks. Francis Marion University is a four-year liberal arts university in Florence, SC. The institution began as a University of South Carolina regional campus and became a state-supported college in 1970. Named Francis […]
First published in December 1951, the Furman Magazine contains rich historical content about the consolidation of Greenville Woman’s College and the old campus of Furman University, the construction of the current campus, and the accomplishments of University professors, alumni, and friends. Recent issues of the Furman Magazine have the “Class Notes” section redacted for privacy […]
Founded in 1946, Furman Singers is one of the premier collegiate ensembles in America. The group tours across the United States and Europe, showcasing a repertoire that covers everything from Renaissance motets to the finest choral music of the 20th century. Each year since 1970, the Furman Singers compile a scrapbook documenting their experiences. All […]
The Furman Concert Choir was organized in 1960 as a small, auditioned group which performs choral music form all periods of music history. The choir has performed at national conventions and conferences, television specials, and, in 1973, were one of only five American choirs selected to participate in the Vienna Choral Symposium. This collection contains […]
This collection contains over 2,000 historical images of Furman University including photographs and glass plate negatives from Furman University (both the downtown Greenville campus and the current campus) and Greenville Woman’s College. The images from this collection date from 1865 through 1989 with the majority of the images from the 1930s – 1960s. […]
Browse postcards from the Furman University Special Collections and Archives. Postcards are from the Ethel Howard Postcard Collection, the Furman University Postcard Collection, the South Carolina Postcard Collection, the Greenville Woman’s College Collection, and the Judson Collection.
Collection of photographs from the SC Room Archives of the Taylors library branch. The Taylors Branch of the Greenville County Library was founded on November 20, 1973. In the 1920s the Bookmobile had been begun stopping every other week in Taylors at the First Baptist Church, but eventually the growth of the community warranted its […]
This collection from the Greenwood County Library contains photographs from the 1900s that include library programs, book displays, library buildings, bookmobiles, and library staff. Digitization assistance provided by the South Carolina State Library’s Digitization in a Box Program.
Moving Image Research Collections’ holdings of amateur films and home movies documents family life, holiday celebrations, vacation travel and much more. These films, created in many locations across the United States and across the globe as well, represent a period of time spanning from the early 20th century to the 1970’s.
The student yearbooks from Horry Georgetown Technical College. Horry Georgetown Technical College is a two-year, public coeducational college approved by several accreditation agencies and offers more than 80 associate degrees, diplomas, and certificate programs. Non-credit and corporate training programs are offered through the continuing education division of the College. Founded in 1966, the College has […]
James W. Colbert, Jr., MD, joined the Medical University of South Carolina as its first Vice President for Academic Affairs on February 1, 1969. He served as Vice President until his death on September 11, 1974. This series of interviews documents the memories of Dr. Colbert’s family and colleagues about his life and his tenure […]
The Local Television News Collections at Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC) comprise approximately 1.5 million feet of 16mm motion picture film outtakes dating from the late 1950s to the early 1980s, donated by several South Carolina television stations. These outtakes document over two decades of local people and events, as well as reportage surrounding significant […]
The McColl High School Yearbooks collection is made up of High School yearbooks from the McColl community in South Carolina between the years of 1949 and 1967. In the collection, you will find yearbooks from two former High Schools: the Robert Fletcher Memorial School and the McColl High School.
The Medical College Expansion Program Lantern Slides, 1954-1974, digital collection consists of portions of two separate archival collections of the MUSC University Archives, capturing the architectural development and construction on the growing campus of the Medical College of South Carolina. The slides of ARC 101 comprise a series of the Kenneth M. Lynch, Sr., M.D., […]
The Archives of the Morris College Richardson-Johnson Learning Resources Center chronicle over one hundred years of the college’s history through documents, convention publications, photographs, catalogs, alumni materials, videos and publications. The Morris College Digital Collections presented here include yearbooks and other college publications documenting the history of the institution. In the collection is the pictorial […]
Browse selected newsletters and pamphlets scanned from microfilm. The current contents of the collection include the full run of the Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call, as well as pamphlets from South Carolina. Browse by Topic Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call South Carolina Pamphlets
Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees who are appointed by the State Legislature. The Board’s main responsibility is to govern […]
The Richard Furman and James C. Furman collection contains over 750 letters and 18 sermons of Richard Furman (1755-1825), the namesake of Furman University and his son, James Clement Furman (1809-1891), the University’s first president who served from 1859-1879. Richard Furman Items Browse letters Browse sermons James Clement Furman Items Browse letters Browse sermons
The Rosenwald Schools of South Carolina exhibit features as its center the forty-three oral history interviews forming the Tom Crosby Oral History Collection that describe the educational experiences of African Americans in South Carolina 1910s-1970s, most of whom attended Rosenwald schools and/or Allen University.
The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.
Samuel Lander, Jr. was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina, of Irish parents who had immigrated to America in 1818. He devoted his life to education and the ministry. He graduated as valedictorian from Randolph-Macon College (then in Boydton, VA) in 1852. For a short time he practiced civil engineering and studied law. In December of […]
School Desegregation in the Southern and Border States is a series of reports compiled between 1956 – 1968 by the Southern Education Reporting Services. These reports provide statistics and information about desegregation of public schools in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington District […...
Sol Blatt (1895-1986) represented Barnwell, Bamburg, and Allendale Counties in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1933 until his death in 1986. He also served as Speaker of the House almost continuously from 1937 until 1973. These documents reveal Blatt’s thoughts on issues such as race, economic development, taxes, nuclear energy, and a number […]
The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Children’s Library Services Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-2000s relating to library services for children. The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field […]
The South Carolina Library Association, established on October 27, 1915, is made of librarians from all around our state South Carolina dedicated to providing innovative services and promoting libraries and intellectual freedom to all our citizens including the public, as well as those in higher education and in our schools.
The South Carolina Medical Association oral history collection consists of oral history interviews of 24 past presidents of the South Carolina Medical Association (SCMA). The former presidents discuss their educational backgrounds, careers in medicine, and the major issues affecting the field of medicine and SCMA during their tenures as president. The physicians also offer their perspectives on […]
The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina State Library Photograph Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-1970s relating to library services. The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field agents. Portrayed […]
In 2010, Ms. Barbara Brown saw an old photograph album for sale at a local yard sale. Although she did not know any of the people in the album, she knew that it was a wonderful record of the life of a family. Ms. Brown purchased the album and donated it to the Camden Archives […]
Francis Marion University is a four-year liberal arts university in Florence, SC. The institution began as a University of South Carolina regional campus and became a state-supported college in 1970. Named Francis Marion College for General Francis Marion who served in the American Revolutionary War, it became a university in 1992. The university archives are […]
The Tiger is the student-run newspaper for Clemson University and its community. First produced on January 21, 1907, it is the oldest collegiate newspaper in the state of South Carolina. The weekly, national award-winning publication is distributed every Tuesday and Thursday on and off campus with a circulation of approximately 12,000.
Thomas Green Clemson demonstrated the versatility which gifted people often possess in his varied activities as a mining engineer, government official, plantation owner, scientist, proponent of higher education, artist and art collector, and supporter of scientific farming. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Clemson adopted South Carolina as his home after marrying Anna Maria Calhoun, the oldest […]
Collegiate yearbooks became came a thing of the past during the 1990s. New forms of media, rising costs, and dwindling sales led many colleges and universities to cease publication. The University of South Carolina Lancaster published their last yearbook in 1992. In 1994 the University of South Carolina ended nearly 100 years of tradition as […]
These student examinations date largely from the second half of the 19th century, a period in which the University of South Carolina underwent significant changes not only in its curriculum but also in its student body, its faculty and its educational goals. The exams in this collection that date prior to 1873 reflect the South […]
The William Savage (1914-1997) oral history collection documents a small part of the institutional history of the University of South Carolina through oral history interviews with forty former faculty and staff members. Dr. William Savage, founder and curator (1973-1985) of the Museum of Education in the College of Education, conducted most of the interviews in […]
Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman’s College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school’s name was changed to the Woman’s College of Due West. There was the […]
This collection features historic yearbooks from local schools in the Columbia area. Most yearbooks were generously donated by members of the community. Help us grow this collection! If you have any yearbooks to donate, please contact the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library, 1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, S.C., or (803) 929-3402. Check […]