Media Type: Objects

Charleston Museum Quilt Collection

One of the largest in the southeast, The Charleston Museum’s Quilt Collection consists of a wonderful variety of chintz appliqué, pieced, mosaic, whitework and traditional appliqué quilts, quilt fragments and items intended to be finished as quilts as well as crazy quilts and embroidered coverlets. This digital collection showcases a fraction of the textiles available …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., Records, 1906 – 2007

The Young Women’s Christian Association of Greater Charleston, which originated in 1907, has served communities in Charleston and the Lowcountry area of South Carolina for over a century. Currently, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., strives to provide programs and services for all people and holds a mission to eliminate racism and to empower women. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Anna D. Kelly Papers, 1930s – 1999

Anna D. Kelly (1913-2007) is known for her efforts to connect Lowcountry African Americans with the Highlander Folk School, most notably recruiting Septima Clark. A graduate of the Avery Normal Institute in Charleston, South Carolina, Kelly was a charter member of the Avery Institute of African American History and Culture. She then played a crucial …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Millicent E. Brown Papers, 1949 – 2003

Millicent Ellison Brown (b. 1948) is an educator and civil rights activist. Born in Charleston to MaeDe and J. Arthur Brown, local and state president of NAACP (1955-1965), Brown, in 1963, replaced her older sister Minerva as the primary plaintiff in a NAACP-sponsored lawsuit (Millicent Brown vs. Charleston County School District #20). The collection consists …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Berkeley County High School

The first totally county-funded school in Berkeley County was established in 1912 in Moncks Corner. Students of all ages attended. By 1928, the number of students had dramatically increased. A separate high school was needed. Construction began on a two-story brick building with twelve classrooms, a library, and an office. Berkeley High School was student-ready …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Native American South Carolina Archive

A joint project of the Native American Studies Archive at the University of South Carolina Lancaster, the University of South Carolina’s Institute for Southern Studies, and the University of South Carolina Libraries’ Digital Collections. NASCA will expand the research and service impact of the University of South Carolina Lancaster’s Native American Studies Center and Archive, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Forward Together; South Carolina in World War I

Forward Together is a multiple-venue project, developed by a consortium of historical and educational institutions, that focuses on the participation of South Carolina during World War I and its effects on the state. Through exhibitions, public lectures, and the development of curricula, this project gives the community a better understanding of the twentieth century’s economic, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Columbia Theater and Entertainment

A collection of programs and ephemera representing a long history of performance and entertainment in Columbia. This collection spans the twentieth century and features playbills and programs from the historic Town Theater and other local theatrical productions as well as novelties such as dance cards, movie memorabilia and event tickets.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Early History of Columbia College

These digital collections include diplomas, literary society membership certificates, class rings, and jewelry. Columbia College was founded in 1854 in Columbia, SC, by the United Methodist Church as a liberal arts college for women. Columbia College currently offers evening, graduate, and online programs serving both women and men in addition to the Women’s College. Established …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

A. Wolfe Davidson, The Man Behind the Sculpture

A. Wolfe Davidson created the Thomas Green Clemson statue in front of Tillman Hall (twice!). This exhibit provides a brief look at his Davidson’s life and the other works he created for Clemson University and other clients. Davidson was born in Russia in 1903, arrived in Greenville, South Carolina in the 1920s and enrolled as …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery