The Alice Ravenel Huger Smith Collection contains the book, Twenty Drawings of the Pringle House (1917). This book was a collaboration with her father, D.E. Huger Smith. Alice R. Huger Smith (1876-1958), was part of the Charleston Renaissance and is remembered as a painter, printmaker, author, illustrator, historian and historic preservationist.
Yeamans Hall Club, still in existence, is on the original 1,070 (of the 6000) acres of land bestowed to Sir John Yeamans (Baronet) by the Lords Proprietors for his loyalty to King Charles II (1665). The first plantation house built in 1674 stood for nineteen years. In 1695, the new owner, Landgrave Thomas Smith II […]
This collection contains earthquake photographs held by the Charleston Museum, America’s first museum. Currently the collection features 204 photographs documenting the damage inflicted on Charleston by the earthquake of August 31, 1886. Primarily professional photographs, these images were sold as souvenirs of the devastating quake.
The Civic Services Committee (CSC) (1942-1946) was the predecessor body to Historic Charleston Foundation. It was formed by the Carolina Art Association to address the need for architectural preservation and to implement city planning in response to growth. The Committee received grants from the Rockefeller Foundation and Carnegie Corporation, which were used to retain Frederick […]
The collection contains photographs of the College of Charleston campus through out the years. Photographs include the exteriors and interiors of buildings on the grounds. Also included in the collection are photographs chronicalling the construction of campus structures.
The folio, Examples of Colonial Architecture in Charleston, S.C. and Savannah, Ga., features photographic plates of some of the most important houses and buildings in Charleston and Savannah. Photographs include exterior views of the buildings, gates, and entrances, as well as interior views of fireplaces, mantels, doors, rooms, and ceilings. Compiled and photographed by Edward A. […]
The collection contains seven million feet of nitrate motion picture film and four million feet of safety motion picture film documenting the national and global politics and culture from 1919 through 1934 and from September 1942 through August 1944. Paper holdings provide detailed notes generated by original camera crews as well as ephemera related to […]
Various monographs and photographs from the Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation. The focus of the collection items is primarily Charleston historic buildings, streets, landmarks, and sites. The collection also includes publications related to tourism in Charleston (1879-1948), the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, and the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition of 1901-1902.
One of the first fundraising programs developed by Historic Charleston Foundation after its incorporation in 1947 was its annual spring tours of historic houses, during which trained “hostesses” would guide visitors through several private homes in Charleston’s historic district. In addition to raising revenue to support Historic Charleston Foundation’s preservation efforts, the tours performed an […]
James Calvin Hemphill (1889-1970) was an architect born in Abbeville, South Carolina. The James Calvin Hemphill Collection contains architectural plans, artists’ renderings and photographs of buildings that he designed during his career. Hemphill’s career spanned more than fifty-five years in South Carolina with a focus on Greenwood and Abbeville. He served as president of the […]
The Local Television News Collections at Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC) comprise approximately 1.5 million feet of 16mm motion picture film outtakes dating from the late 1950s to the early 1980s, donated by several South Carolina television stations. These outtakes document over two decades of local people and events, as well as reportage surrounding significant […]
The Mabel Payne Photograph Collection contains hundreds of photographic negatives taken by Payne and other local photographers between 1959 and 1970. These images depict historic structures such as Ainsley Hall (Robert Mills House), the Seibels House, the Hampton-Preston mansion, and others. It also depicts downtown neighborhoods that have since been lost through urban renewal projects. […]
The Medical College Expansion Program Lantern Slides, 1954-1974, digital collection consists of portions of two separate archival collections of the MUSC University Archives, capturing the architectural development and construction on the growing campus of the Medical College of South Carolina. The slides of ARC 101 comprise a series of the Kenneth M. Lynch, Sr., M.D., […]
Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720-1778) was an innovative graphic artist who is most known for architectural studies of Rome and his imaginary prisons. The Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections at the University of South Carolina holds a rare complete set of his posthumous Opere [Works] (1837-9), which consists of twenty-nine elephant-folio volumes that […]
Philip Simmons (1912-2009) was an African American blacksmith and artisan specializing in the craft of ironwork in Charleston, South Carolina. Simmons spent seventy-seven years crafting utilitarian and ornamental ironwork. His work is recognized within the state of South Carolina, nationally, and internationally. This collection, donated by the Philip Simmons Foundation, holds personal papers with photographs […]
These photos are from the collection, The Records of the Historic Preservation Planner, Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments (BCDCOG), 1970 – 1981. A large portion of this collection is comprised of the research materials collected for the publication, Historic Preservation Plan Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Region, with the rest being non-survey regional research materials, general business files of the […]
Richard Taylor was a resident of Lexington County, South Carolina and freelance photographer who took photographs of various people, places, and structures of Lexington County, South Carolina. The photographs were taken from approximately 1940 through 1976. Many of the people that were photographed by Mr. Taylor are deceased and many of the structures that he […]
Roy S. MacElwee was a planner who specialized in port development. He was the author of a number of books including “Ports and Terminal Facilities” (1918) and he authored with Henry F. Church “A Comprehensive Handbook on the Port of Charleston” (1924). This is an oversized scrapbook of photographs and clippings about the design of […]
The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.
Sandlapper, the Magazine of South Carolina, was established in 1968 by the Lexington lawyer Robert P. Wilkins, Sr. and his wife Rose. Concerned about South Carolina’s image, Wilkins began promoting the state’s beauty, citizens, and history through the magazine. The first issue appeared in January 1968 with a portrait of Governor James F. Byrnes on […]
Architectural drawings from the firm of Albert Simons and Samuel Lapham. Includes measured drawings of a country club in Ohio by Samuel Lapham; designs of the Ashley River Memorial Bridge; sculpture pedestals for the Gibbes Museum of Art; sundials, and garden plans.
Comprised of over 40 hours of motion picture film and video, photographs, paper records and equipment, this collection documents the careers of two distinguished news cameramen who were also father and son. Through home movies and photographs the collection provides rare insight into the personal lives of news cameramen from the silent and early sound […]
A Charlestonian who attended both the College of Charleston and the School of Architecture of the University of Pennsylvania, Joseph Mordecai Hirschmann practiced architecture with the New York firm of Walker and Gillette. His architectural training induced a special interest in old world buildings, and on his European holidays in 1924 and 1927 he made […]
The images in this collection are selections from the photographic archives of The State Media Company, which are stored at Richland Library. This digital collection will continue to grow as more historic photographs are digitized. A finding aid for the archive is available. The photographs in the archive date from 1955 to 2002 and were taken by […]
William Henry Jackson, in partnership with the Detroit Photographic Company, took black and white photographs that were reproduced into color photochroms for sale as postcards or prints. The majority of the images in this collection are landscapes of Colorado, Montana and New York State, particularly in Yellowstone National Park and the Adirondack region. Some images […]
This scrapbook by William Henry Johnson is part of a collection of three, which document the history of a large array of Lowcountry plantations and places of interest. In this book – compiled, 1928-1932 – Johnson focuses on the Cooper River region and in the Parishes of St Stephen, St James Goose Creek, St James […]
Pencil sketches and watercolors by Charleston-born architect William Martin Aiken. Includes images of grand houses (exterior and interior) with architectural details, gates and doors, churches and museums, sailing vessels and flora along the east coast of the United States and Europe.