Time Period: Reconstruction (1866 - 1877)

Clariosophic Literary Society Records of the University of South Carolina

The Clariosophic Literary Society was one of two original student organizations established at South Carolina College in 1806. The Clariosophic and Euphradian Literary Societies sought to prepare their members for future leadership roles by strengthening their oratorical skills. This collection comes from USC’s South Caroliniana Library and comprises 132 volumes of society records, spanning the …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Chesterfield County Library: Spencer Family Papers, 1700-1900

Chesterfield County Library has digitized a collection of family papers from the Spencer Family circa 1780s-1910s.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Indexes of Local History and Genealogy

This collection includes indexes and finding aids for historical and genealogical information pertaining to Columbia, Richland County, and the Midlands. In addition, Local History staff maintain a guide to relevant subject indexes and finding aids available both from Richland Library as well as from other institutions focusing on local history and genealogy in the area. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

South Carolina Book Collection

The South Carolina State Library maintains an extensive print collection of materials published about South Carolina. The South Carolina Book Collection provides access to digitized copies of selected books in the public domain, including the Annual Reports of the Charleston Orphan House, Annual Reports of the Audubon Society of South Carolina, and published political speeches.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Lutheran Church Records of Lexington County, South Carolina (1866-1982)

This collection consists of parish registers, with records of baptisms, marriages, burials, and communions, in addition to lists of members, pastors, and church officers. The originals, most of which reside at the individual churches, were microfilmed and now digitized to extend easier access to these valuable records. Currently, only records from Lexington County are available. We …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Roper Hospital Digital Collections

The Roper Hospital Digital Collections consist of archival records documenting the construction, management, and administration of Roper Hospital. Roper Hospital was established by the Medical Society of South Carolina “to treat all sick and injured people without regard to complexion, religion, or nation.” In 1856 the first Roper Hospital building, located adjacent to the Medical College of South Carolina building on Queen Street in …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

C. Wayne Weart Apothecary Trade Cards, 1870-1920

The C. Wayne Weart Apothecary Trade Cards collection includes late-19th century advertising cards from the private collection of Dr. C. Wayne Weart. The cards advertise pharmaceutical products, and typically feature colorful artwork on the front. The back of the cards usually had information about the product advertised and where it could be purchased. Some cards …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Newsletters and Pamphlets

Browse selected newsletters and pamphlets scanned from microfilm. The current contents of the collection include the full run of the Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call, as well as pamphlets from South Carolina. Browse by Topic Macedonian Call and Spiritual Call South Carolina Pamphlets


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Historical Newspapers

View selected issues of the Greenville Daily Herald, The Charleston Courier, The Carolina News and Guide, Cohen’s Weekly, the Illinois State Register, and other historical newspapers dating from 1851 – 1963.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Early History of Columbia College

These digital collections include diplomas, literary society membership certificates, class rings, and jewelry. Columbia College was founded in 1854 in Columbia, SC, by the United Methodist Church as a liberal arts college for women. Columbia College currently offers evening, graduate, and online programs serving both women and men in addition to the Women’s College. Established …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery