In 1967, Historic Charleston Foundation was deeply concerned about the conditions of the downtown area, particularly the commercial blocks of King Street. Because the Foundation believed that the survival of King Street as a thriving retail shopping district was vital, it launched a feasibility study to determine the potential of the area. The study examined […]
In the 1950s many houses in Ansonborough were threatened with ”demolition by neglect,” having stood vacant or fallen into severe disrepair. In order to encourage homebuyers to move into the neighborhood to save these formerly unwanted treasures, Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF) was the first organization in the country to develop the Revolving Fund as a […]
The John and Mary Osman Braun and Hogenberg Collection contains a variety of maps from the late 16th and early 17th centuries, primarily from the Civitates Orbis Terrarum (Cities of the World) by Georg Braun and Franz Hogenberg. The Civitates is considered one of the first modern atlases and it captures an exciting glimpse into the past through the […]
The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, […]
The Civic Services Committee (CSC) (1942-1946) was the predecessor body to Historic Charleston Foundation. It was formed by the Carolina Art Association to address the need for architectural preservation and to implement city planning in response to growth. The Committee received grants from the Rockefeller Foundation and Carnegie Corporation, which were used to retain Frederick […]
Collection of printed and hand-drawn maps of Charleston Harbor and Fort Wagner, South Carolina and nearby areas of North Carolina and Georgia. Of particular interest are the drawings depicting batteries and approaches on Morris Island during the Siege of Charleston, 1863.
The Colleton County Memorial Library Map Collection currently contains a sampling of images from the historic maps in the holdings of Colleton County Memorial Library. Included in this collection is the Jonah Horry Book of Maps, which features maps, surveys and charts drawn by John Goddard and John Horry Dent.
The Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Real Estate Indentures Collection features images of rare and original handwritten documents that tell the history of Georgetown County. The collection includes real estate indentures, land grants, survey maps, conveyance of land, titles, mortgages and agreements from the early residents including the Brockingtons, the Fords, the Heywards, the Porchers, the […]
The Fall Line is a geographic region within South Carolina where the rivers are no longer navigable from the Low Country. This area, which stretches from Cheraw on the Pee Dee River to Hamburg (present day North Augusta) on the Savannah River, yielded experiences and material culture that were characteristic of its peoples. The goods […]
Gertrude Sanford Legendre (1902–2000) was an American socialite who served as an OSS operative during World War II. She was also a noted explorer, big-game hunter, environmentalist, and owner of Medway plantation in South Carolina. The collection includes scrapbooks of Gertrude’s travels and family life, loose photographs ranging in date from the mid to late […]
One of the first fundraising programs developed by Historic Charleston Foundation after its incorporation in 1947 was its annual spring tours of historic houses, during which trained “hostesses” would guide visitors through several private homes in Charleston’s historic district. In addition to raising revenue to support Historic Charleston Foundation’s preservation efforts, the tours performed an […]
These forty South Carolina soil survey maps from the early Nineteen Hundreds were prepared with booklets to explain the soil classifications on the county level. They include information that do not appear on updated survey maps, such as old rail lines, schools, churches and other structures as well as entire towns that no longer exist.
This selection of maps illustrates the development of Spartanburg County from an isolated settlement to a regional center as few other historical resources can. In addition to documenting areas rarely photographed, maps can be useful to researchers interested in charting the changes in land use for a given geographic area. Information included in many of […]
The German scientist Alexander von Humboldt and his expedition partner, botanist Aimé Bonpland, traveled through Central and South America between 1799 and 1804. Under a Spanish warrant, they explored the Orinoco in Venezuela, surveyed and gathered plant and animal specimens, and studied the geology and mineralogy of Colombia, Peru, and Mexico. They climbed Chimborazo, the […]
This collection contains diaries of James Kershaw, 1791-1825, with meteorological observations, recipes, and home remedies, including advice for treatment of pimples, boils, baldness, and unwanted hair. The papers record observations, 17 September 1811, of a solar eclipse, accounts of debts paid, January-April 1812, including prices of cotton, molasses, and sugar, and typed abstracts of recipes, […]
This collection primarily consists of over two hundred eighteenth and nineteenth century plats pertaining to properties in the Lowcountry region of South Carolina. Plats include the parish of St. Thomas & St. Denis, St. Andrew’s Parish, Prince Frederick, St. Stephen’s Parish, St. Luke’s Parish, St. Peter’s Parish, St. John’s Parish, St. Bartholomew’s Parish, St. Paul’s […]
The Lawrence Layden Scrapbook contains photographs and papers documenting his wartime service. Lawrence Layden was a Captain in the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group during World War II. Personal papers consist of induction papers, forms listing the date for reverting to inactive service, military security passes, promotion papers, transfer papers, letters of recommendation to attend Officer Candidate […]
The Maps of Columbia and Richland County collection features an assortment of historic maps of Columbia and the surrounding areas. These maps depict streets, political boundaries, and school zones from the early twentieth century. These maps along with additional maps are located in the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library.
The Medical College Expansion Program Lantern Slides, 1954-1974, digital collection consists of portions of two separate archival collections of the MUSC University Archives, capturing the architectural development and construction on the growing campus of the Medical College of South Carolina. The slides of ARC 101 comprise a series of the Kenneth M. Lynch, Sr., M.D., […]
The 1825 publication of Robert Mills’ Atlas of the State of South Carolina marked an American cartographic first. This volume is the first systematic atlas of any state in the union. Remarkably, too, no other state atlas of South Carolina was published for the next century and a half.
This collection of 17th century world maps was published and printed by the Danckerts family, and was donated as a part of the Mitchell King Library. These 31 maps cover various countries in Europe, as well as the continents of Asia, Africa, and North and South America. The maps are by various cartographers including Visscher, […]
A joint project of the Native American Studies Archive at the University of South Carolina Lancaster, the University of South Carolina’s Institute for Southern Studies, and the University of South Carolina Libraries’ Digital Collections. NASCA will expand the research and service impact of the University of South Carolina Lancaster’s Native American Studies Center and Archive, […]
This collection is comprised of first hand accounts, logs, and photographs of life on the U.S.S. Landing Craft Infantry 759 during World War II. The journaled account was written by Gerald Atherton forty years after his experiences. The Executive’s morning order book was kept by Lt. O.H. Wienges while on the Naval ship. The collection […]
Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720-1778) was an innovative graphic artist who is most known for architectural studies of Rome and his imaginary prisons. The Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections at the University of South Carolina holds a rare complete set of his posthumous Opere [Works] (1837-9), which consists of twenty-nine elephant-folio volumes that […]
Originally conceived in the late 18th Century, fire insurance maps provided structural and urban environmental information necessary for insurance underwriters. Founded in 1867 in the United States, the Sanborn National Insurance Diagram Bureau systematically produced ascetically appealing, but also efficient, maps nationwide. This New York firm expanded and grew immensely, finally emerging as the Sanborn […]
Spanning five decades, the University of South Carolina’s collection of aerial photograph indexes consists primarily of projects commissioned by the United States Department of Agriculture. Showing cities, farms, forests, reservoirs, coastlines, and other features across the state, the indexes provide a visual overview of each project’s collection of individual aerial photographs, many of which are […]
The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Children’s Library Services Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-2000s relating to library services for children. The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field […]
The map collection of the South Caroliniana Library has always been a significant resource for geographers, historians, and genealogists. In the past two hundred years, technological changes have substantially altered the landscape of South Carolina, and the library’s map collection visually documents these transformations. The maps show airports, battlefields, cemeteries, churches, cities, highways, Native American […]
This collection is a selection of items including photographs, postcards, pamphlets, newspaper articles, and letters that describe experiences of World War I soldiers in the Spartanburg area. Most items are about Camp Wadsworth and included are a map, materials from the Camp library, and images from the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. There is a […]
Thomas Green Clemson demonstrated the versatility which gifted people often possess in his varied activities as a mining engineer, government official, plantation owner, scientist, proponent of higher education, artist and art collector, and supporter of scientific farming. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Clemson adopted South Carolina as his home after marrying Anna Maria Calhoun, the oldest […]
Measuring 14 ½ x 20 inches the Polyconic Projections were first published in the late 19th Century. Some were produced by the Army, others by the Corps. of Engineers and the remainder were produced by the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The scale is 1:62500. The contour intervals vary. Measurements are shown in miles, feet […]
The bulletins published in these volumes exhibit the record of simultaneious observations, taken daily, at 7:35 a.m., 4:35 p.m., and 11 p.m., Washington time. The observations are given as copied from the original reports of the observers. See the catalog record for more information.
This collection contains five maps of the Waccamaw River in Horry County, S.C. from Conway to Bull Creek dated November 1903. The surveys were performed under the direction of Captain G. P. Howell, Corps of Engineers U.S.A. and Reid Whitford, U.S. Assistant Engineer. The surveyor was William H. Johnstone. These five maps show the soundings […]
This scrapbook by William Henry Johnson is part of a collection of three, which document the history of a large array of Lowcountry plantations and places of interest. In this book – compiled, 1928-1932 – Johnson focuses on the Cooper River region and in the Parishes of St Stephen, St James Goose Creek, St James […]