Browse All Collections

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Berkeley County High School

The first totally county-funded school in Berkeley County was established in 1912 in Moncks Corner. Students of all ages attended. By 1928, the number of students had dramatically increased. A separate high school was needed. Construction began on a two-story brick building with twelve classrooms, a library, and an office. Berkeley High School was student-ready …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Daniel E. Smith, Jr. Collection

Thomas Smith, born in Exeter, Devon, England in 1648, came to South Carolina in 1684. He became a Landgrave in 1691 and Governor of South Carolina in 1693. His son, Judge Thomas Smith, Jr., Second Landgrave (1670-1738) bequeathed to his brother and sons acres of his Goose Creek lands, his Wassamasaw lands, and a proportional …


Quick Access:

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Mary Palmer’s Composition Book

A descendent of French Huguenot, Isaac Mazyck, who settled in South Carolina in 1686, Mary Louisa Palmer (daughter of Henry Milner Palmer and Julia Palmer) was born near Eutawville, South Carolina on August 2, 1874.  It is unknown where Miss Palmer attended school. Her grandson, Keith Gourdin of Pineville, S. C. has the copy book in his collection. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Moncks Corner Community Directory

“Jaycees Sponsor Directory for Moncks Corner” The MC Junior Chamber of Commerce announces the preparation of the publication of MC, Pinopolis, and Bonneau and all residents living along main highways for a distance of 5 miles from MC w/ the exception of Hwy. 52N which will be listed all the way to Bonneau and include …


Quick Access:

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre

William Friddell and Lois Thornley opened The Berkeley Drive-In Theatre in 1950. Its parking ramp capacity was 200 cars. Poles by each parking space held two small, wired, portable aluminum speakers (one for the driver of the car, and one for the passenger of the car next to it). The speakers were made to hang …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County (S.C.) Memories – Yeamans Hall Club

Yeamans Hall Club, still in existence, is on the original 1,070 (of the 6000) acres of land bestowed to Sir John Yeamans (Baronet) by the Lords Proprietors for his loyalty to King Charles II (1665). The first plantation house built in 1674 stood for nineteen years. In 1695, the new owner, Landgrave Thomas Smith II …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Berkeley County Photograph Collection

Once part of an album, the photographs (circa 1900) show plantations, African Americans, horses, hunting, rice threshing, wagons and carts, and churches in Berkeley County, S.C. Some featured landmarks are: Medway, Wappahoola, Mulberry Castle, Dean Hall (bulk of collection,) Dockon, Bushy Park, Exeter, Cote Bas, Bippy, Lewisfield, Strawberry Chapel, Strawberry ferry, and pine land house. …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989

The Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989 provide information regarding Robinson’s role as a teacher and social activist for voter education, adult literacy, child development, and social work.


Quick Access:

Bessie Norris Wofford collected funeral programs, 1957-1991

Funeral programs, 1957-1991 (bulk 1975-1991), collected by Bessie Norris Wofford, primarily of services in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, particularly Roebuck and Walnut Grove. Also included are a small number of programs for services for natives of South Carolina held in other states and programs for a service to license for Brother Alan W. Ferguson and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bettie La Barbe Postcard Collection

Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 – 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly’s Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Beulah Glover Photograph Collection

In about 1937 Miss Beulah Glover (17 Aug. 1887 – 4 Jan. 1991) opened a photography studio in Walterboro, S.C. Being also an historian, Miss Glover shot many historical scenes in the Lowcountry. She converted some of these images to postcards and sold them in her studio, Foto-Nook. She also used images to illustrate her …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bicentennial Photograph Collection

This collection of photographs was donated to Richland Library in 1987 in honor of the bicentennial of the founding of the city of Columbia in 1786. The collection was created from copies of photographs, programs and lithographs of historic images of Columbia, S.C. Due to copyright restrictions, some images in the Bicentennial Collection are not …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Black and White Negatives of South Carolina State Parks

The Black and White Negatives of South Carolina State Parks is primarily composed of images taken by the State Forestry Commission, the agency which operated the parks from 1934-67. Additional black and white negatives in this collection were produced by the State Park Service in the 1970s. This collection documents the administration and public use …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Black History in Spartanburg

Black history in the Spartanburg area remains obscured by the biases and scarcity of early records. By 1790, the first year with a reliable population estimate, Spartanburg County was home to 866 black slaves and 27 “free persons not white,” representing about 10% of the total population.  At the time of emancipation, some 8,300 African-Americans lived in Spartanburg County, around 30% …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bobbin and Beaker

The Bobbin and Beaker was an official student publication of the Clemson School of Industrial Management and Textile Science. Organized in November 1939 by Iota Chapter of Phi Psi Fraternity for the Clemson Textile School, the first issue of this semiannual publication arrived in March 1940 for the students, textile school graduates, and the textile …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bonds Conway Papers, 1763 – 1907

Papers of Bonds Conway (1763-1843), a free African-American resident of Camden (Kershaw County, S.C.). This collection of family letters, land papers, and other items documents several generations of a free family of color from the 18th through the 20th centuries in South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas, east Texas, and elsewhere. Topics discussed include social relations during …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bonneville Native American Collection

19th Century Images of Native Americans and Soldiers in the American West from the University of South Carolina Beaufort. The Bonneville Collection is a collection of fifty-four late 19th century albumen card photographs, chiefly boudoir cards and with some in a larger format pertaining to the American Plains Indians. This collection was owned by William …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Book Lovers’ Club, 1927 – 1969

The Book Lover’s Club of Charleston was founded in 1927 by AfricanAmerican Women as a literary club with a purpose of establishing a high literary culture among its members as well as social improvement for Charleston African Americans. Legal documents, minutes, financial documents, and correspondence (1927-1969) document the activities of the Book Lovers’ Club (Charleston, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Bookmobiles of the Greenwood County Library System

With the assistance of the Association of Farm Women and the South Carolina State Library in 1932 the Greenwood County Library bought its first Bookmobile, to serve those in more rural areas. The Bookmobile was used to get books to people that were over 5 miles away from Greenwood and could not easily get into …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Books and Pamphlets

Full-text books and pamphlets about Columbia and South Carolina from the Richland Library Local History collections.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Brad Lephew WWII Collection

The Brad Lephew WWII Collection is comprised of documentation artifacts that relate to the Nazi regime, and the impact on those people that embraced it as well as the victims of it.  This documentation, discovered and collected from around the world by Mr. Lephew, includes various materials such as oppressive propaganda and publications, legal documents …


Quick Access:

Brandon Mill

Collection of photographs of the Brandon Mill community from the Brandon Historical Society and SC Room Archives. Organized in 1899, Brandon Mill was completed and producing fabric by 1901. Cotton manufacturing boomed in the Upstate and the mill expanded rapidly during the first decade of the 1900s. The mill operated until March 1977. One of …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Brandon Mill Ledger

Handwritten and typescript ledger for Brandon Mill from incorporation in 1899 to 1928. Includes stockholder and board of director meeting minutes and names of stockholders.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Braun and Hogenberg Collection

The John and Mary Osman Braun and Hogenberg Collection contains a variety of maps from the late 16th and early 17th centuries, primarily from the Civitates Orbis Terrarum (Cities of the World) by Georg Braun and Franz Hogenberg. The Civitates is considered one of the first modern atlases and it captures an exciting glimpse into the past through the …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Broadsides from the Colonial Era to the Present

Broadsides is a virtual collection of posters from many different collections at the South Caroliniana Library.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Brookgreen Gardens Collection

The Brookgreen Gardens Collection includes photographs from the archives of Archer and Anna Huntington who established Brookgreen Gardens in 1931. The couple designed the gardens to preserve the native flora and fauna as well as display sculptures by Anna and other artists in a natural setting. Many of the photographs include features of the garden, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Buildings and Properties, 1841-1937

The St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church Building and Property Records Collection consists of documents that capture the early history and transactions that helped shape the development of the church’s buildings and properties. It includes the legal history of properties eventually acquired by the church and early plans to form a religious society, the German Evangelical Lutheran …


Quick Access:

Bull Family of Chick Springs

J.A. Bull purchased the Chick Springs Hotel and surrounding property in 1903 and founded a bottle water business as well. This collection includes photographs of his children and family on the grounds of Chick Springs.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage

Burton L. Padoll Papers, 1957-2009

Sermons, addresses, photographs, publications, and other papers of Burton L. Padoll, rabbi and civil rights activist. The bulk of the collection consists of Padoll’s typed and handwritten sermons and addresses from his various rabbinates, including at Charleston’s Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim. Topics include the Sabbath and High Holy Days celebrations as well as civil rights …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Business Guide of Charleston, SC

Directory of local businesses of all sorts. Published by Cooke, Howard & Co. (Baltimore, Md.), ca. 1889. Advertisements interspersed throughout, many of which are illustrated. Business types include bakers and confectioners, barbers, blacksmiths, building materials, butchers, contractors and builders, cigars and tobacco, groceries, furniture, hotels, insurance, house furnishings, painters, plumbers, railroad companies, restaurants, sailmakers, tailors, …


Quick Access:

Businesses of Greenville County

Photograph collection of Greenville County businesses.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Butler Derrick: In His Own Words

“Butler Derrick is a true leader, a man of principle and integrity. When the public thinks of Congress, I’d be proud if they thought of Butler Derrick, because he was a member of the House in the finest sense of the word.” So said Former Speaker of the House, Thomas Foley, upon Butler Derrick’s retirement …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

C. Wayne Weart Apothecary Trade Cards, 1870-1920

The C. Wayne Weart Apothecary Trade Cards collection includes late-19th century advertising cards from the private collection of Dr. C. Wayne Weart. The cards advertise pharmaceutical products, and typically feature colorful artwork on the front. The back of the cards usually had information about the product advertised and where it could be purchased. Some cards …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

C. Wayne Weart Pharmacy History Collection

The C. Wayne Weart Pharmacy History Collection features photographs of show globes, also known as carboys, as well as late-19th and early-20th century pharmacy catalogs and apothecary trade cards. These items are from the private collection of Dr. C. Wayne Weart, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of the MUSC College of Pharmacy.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Caines Family Photograph Collection

The Caines Family Photograph Collection exhibits the history of the family, from their life at Clambank to the more recent duck decoy carvings completed by Jerry and Roy Caines. Residents of Georgetown County since the early eighteenth century, the collection includes photographs of both the Caines Brothers and Caines Boys, both known as decoy carvers, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Calvin Shedd Papers, 1862-1864

Forty-four letters, 1862-1863, of Union soldier Calvin Shedd, Co. A, Seventh New Hampshire Regiment, are written primarily from locations in coastal South Carolina and addressed to his wife, S. Augusta Shedd, at Enfield, N.H., and South Reading, Mass. Shedd, a first sergeant, later second lieutenant, writes intelligently and with great detail, describing events, people, and …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camilla Urso Collection

Camilla Urso was one of the leading violinists of the 19th century. She accomplished this at a time when the violin was not considered to be a suitable instrument for a woman to play. Furthermore, she made the difficult transition from child prodigy to mature artist with a career that spanned more than fifty years …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camp Marietta

Camp Marietta opened in 1959 as a collaboration between several Upstate Baptist churches. It closed in 2015 after declining support and participation. This collection includes photographs of both the Girls in Action and Royal Ambassador camps during the first season.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camp Sevier

Collection of photographs and other items from World War I Camp Sevier.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camp St. Mary Records, 1931-1997

Camp St. Mary, a catechetical summer camp for Catholic children, was founded near the Okatee River in Beaufort, South Carolina, by the Diocese of Charleston in 1928. Father James Linehan organized the religious vocation camp for children of Beaufort missions who were in need of catechetical instruction. The priests of the diocese and the Sisters …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camp Wetherill

Collection of Camp Wetherill photographs located in Greenville in 1898.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Camperdown Mill

Collection of photographs of Camperdown Mill and community from the SC Room Archives. Camperdown was the first “modern” textile mill to be opened within city limits. Organized by Oscar Sampson, George Hall, and George Putnam in 1873, it began operation in the old Vardry McBee Mill, but was later expanded to a second building built …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Carlton Simmons Collection

Carlton Simmons (1959-) began his apprenticeship with uncle Philip Simmons at the age of 13. Today he is less known for utilitarian ironwork, but his decorative and artistic pieces are highly sought-after.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Carolana: Yearbook of the University of South Carolina Upstate

The Spartanburg Regional Campus, opened in the fall of 1967, did not produce their own separate yearbook until 1969. In 1968, they were included in the Regional Campus Edition of the Garnet and Black, with a ten-page layout. Beginning in 1969, the Carolana yearbook was produced every year through 1982 at which time publication was …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Carolina Bands Collection, 1914-1984

A collection of images, sheet music, audio files, and drill charts from the University of South Carolina Bands Collection, housed at the USC Music Library.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Carolina Student’s Handbook

The Carolina Student’s Handbook offers a glimpse of the campus culture at the University of South Carolina from the 1920s through the 1940s. Published annually by the University’s YMCA and YWCA chapters, it was primarily aimed at freshman, and included information on the honor code, campus traditions, songs, organizations, athletics, and more. The handbook also …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Carolina Textile Mills Collection

The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Catalog of the Collection of Minerals in the College of South Carolina

Richard T. Brumby began to keep a catalogue of the mineral specimens during the 1840s. He never finished it and between 1856 and 1903, no formal record of new or existing specimens was kept. As a result, the only surviving information on the collection was contained in Brumby’s partial catalogue and the hastily scrawled paper …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Catherine and James Yatsco Collection

The Catherine and James Yatsco Collection contains artifacts collected in West Africa in the 1970s and 1980s. During 1971-1973, Captain James C. Yatsco was stationed in Monrovia, Liberia, under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), where he helped manage the pharmacy in a newly-built hospital. Catherine Yatsco taught high school English to a …


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery

Cemeteries

Photograph collection of cemeteries and burial grounds in Upstate South Carolina.


Quick Access:
View Partner Collection Homepage / View in Discovery